hydraulic or solid?...UnboostedV6

eastwoodad

I already have purchased a hydraulic cam with the following specs:

.494 in, .506 ex.
282 in, 292 ex. (adv.)
226 in, 232 ex. (@.050)

When in the process of trying to find a suitable valve spring, a few people have recommended a solid or a roller.

UnboostedV6, I know you've been here before....what do you recommend? If I should stick with the cam I have, what type of spring do you think is suitable-single or dual. If a solid, what should I be looking for? Thanks.

Aaron

That one's a 'tweener....I ran the KB(curse,yuck,spit,ptooey) 135# doubles on a 224-224 hydraulic with stock valves for a couple years. I believe they were overkill, but they worked until something came apart. Not sure which broke first - the spring, the valve, the guide or the rocker. The "typical" 90-100#'ers aren't stiff enough for that stick over 6000rpm. The single beehive springs and ti retainers I have in the "for sale" forum would work great IF you are patient and break the cam in on stock type(85# or less) springs for an hour or so. I don't believe solid flat tappets will produce much over juicers in you app. I'd love to see a hydraulic roller on a cam with those duration figures, and 10.5:1 compression but you'd have to have a new stick ground.
Hope this helps! GB

Well I am aiming for 10-10.5 to 1. I think I am going to just use the cam I have with TA's single springs w/ dampener.

I just sent the block, crank, and rods to the machine shop. I'm using the Speed Pro forged pistons. With these pistons I am going to have to deck the heads and block a bit to get to 10 to 1 but I am going to be using a steel shim head gasket so that will help. My goal is to have a pretty solid N/A setup to throw the spray or some centrifugal boost to it!! :eek: