Hydraboost w/ 86-87 PS pump?

Nocooler

Had a Hotair
I am converting a friends Hotair car to intercooled. Will I be able to retain the hydraboost brake system using the stock 86-87 PS pump? Is this asking for trouble? Vacuum conversion may be an option but the Hydraboost works great.

TIA
Jeremy

You have a "plumber's nightmare" to deal with and another resevoir will be needed. The stock '86-7 is too small to hold the needed amount of P/S fluid. I opted to go with a vacuum booster on one I did.

hydroboost retention

Hi,
I own an '83 ttype, originally carbureted but with factory hydroboost. I installed an '87 drivetrain, and am using the stock pump and reservoir, with a different hose setup. It works like stock. All I did was plumb it properly, and it functions normally. I found a Gates P/S hose catalog, which has wonderful pictures and specs for each hose in the back of the issue. A lot of the first hoses I chose were discontinued, but I finally managed to find a match. The result was quite positive, as the car has much firmer braking than the powermaster can supply. I would only recommend vacuum boost as an distant alternative. Good luck with your conversion.
Dale

Re: hydroboost retention

Originally posted by 83ttypecooled
Hi,
I own an '83 ttype, originally carbureted but with factory hydroboost. I installed an '87 drivetrain, and am using the stock pump and reservoir, with a different hose setup. It works like stock. All I did was plumb it properly, and it functions normally. I found a Gates P/S hose catalog, which has wonderful pictures and specs for each hose in the back of the issue. A lot of the first hoses I chose were discontinued, but I finally managed to find a match. The result was quite positive, as the car has much firmer braking than the powermaster can supply. I would only recommend vacuum boost as an distant alternative. Good luck with your conversion.
Dale

Very good advise. My dad's 84 GN has hydroboost and is now a Stage II car and retains the hydroboost. It's easy to plumb and I personally think is a better brake system then the powerdistaster systems. It's a very basic design, not a "plumber's nightmare". All you need is a hose and a reservoir which can be found on certain late model Cadillacs.

83 ttypecooled and cool 84- which stock pump did you use 84 or 87? and if you used the 84 did you change the pulleys from the 87 and do they fit? i did the set up on my 84 but wasnt too impressed with the performance using the 87 pump so i switched it to a vacuum system. i had the extra hose and reservoir hooked up.

We did it with the stock 87 pump. If I remember right there were no high pressure hoses to run, just a hose to and from the reservoir. I'll be over where the car's at later this afternoon and I'll take a look to confirm this.