Humming from Brake Booster

dodsonish

I am getting a humming noise from my brake booster when my brakes arent applied. The braking is also inconsistent, and seems powerless at times. The dash light is also coming on. Any help is appreciated.

I am getting a humming noise from my brake booster when my brakes arent applied. The braking is also inconsistent, and seems powerless at times. The dash light is also coming on. Any help is appreciated.

The humming is your pump motor running, having it run constantly will burn up the motor so I wouldnt drive it. Post some more symptoms like what do you mean by powerless, hard pedal? pedal going all the way to the floor? dash light always on? I could either be the Accumulator, Master Cylinder is going, or your pump is burnt out(might be now even if it wasnt the original cause) check this link out Powermaster Diagnostics

Hard pedal sometimes, but not consistent. dashlight goes off sometimes after pedal has been held down for a few seconds. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out and post my results.

New Problem

I just went out to test the brakes and my battery is dead, just installed Friday.:confused: None of the lights were left on and the key was out of the ignition when parked.:confused: Any ideas on what could cause this?

Yeah the humming is definitely a sign of trouble with the brake system. Sometimes when I pull my car out of the garage I just put it in Neutral and leave the engine off because my neighbors complain about the noise my car makes, and then when I press the brake to stop the car on the driveway, I can hear the motor running since the car isn't running for the brake assist. So you're hearing the same thing except during normal braking.

Not sure about the battery problem, doubt that it's anything related.

Maybe a bad new battery or maybe your alternator is bad and not charging.

Frank

I'd charge the battery and see if it runs back down, if so your alternator could be shot...as far as the brakes, when you get a good battery in there push the brakes 10 times with the car off and make sure both sides of the resevior are near the full mark on fluid, then turn your ingnition to the on position and see if the fluid level in the passenger side of the resevior drops down like it's suppose to.

I'd charge the battery and see if it runs back down, if so your alternator could be shot...as far as the brakes, when you get a good battery in there push the brakes 10 times with the car off and make sure both sides of the resevior are near the full mark on fluid, then turn your ingnition to the on position and see if the fluid level in the passenger side of the resevior drops down like it's suppose to.

Thanks, I'll post results.

So you're hearing the same thing except during normal braking.

The noise happens even when brakes aren't applied.

Alright. Battery has full charge, I'm getting no power with the key to on position. Cables seem to be tight, the ignition was acting funny Friday, I would have to wiggle it to get it to position to remove key. Could it be the switch in the ignition?

for your brake problem..i would say the accumalator (sp?) ball. I had some of the same brake problems you did for a few months and finally it went out and i had no brakes.

Accumulator ball is usually the first to go. It takes all the abuse...next to the pads and shoes. Run those diagnostics linked to above and post back. Then we can tell you more.

Hydroboost Conversion

The Hydroboost Runs Off Of The P/s Pump, And Completly Replaces The Powermaster. It Will Last 200,000 Miles, And Does Not Use Electricity Or Vacuum. They Can Hold The Brakes Locked Up To 22lbs Of Boost On The Line. It Uses The Same Pedal As The The Powermaster, And It Is A Bolt In Installation

Hey bud, just seeing if you ever ran any diagnostics and if you got this figured out or not.