HP Tuners on an NA 3800?

SilverSleeper

Looking into the HP Tuners software, mainly for my 04 LeSabre.
No top swap (yet). Just a pretty dead stock car, motor-wise.
My main interest is in the VCM scanner. I have been looking for a scanner that will show data in real time, read raw sensor data, and look at the majority of sensor data streams.
But with the full package from HPT, I know you can tune the program. But is there really a benefit for an NA car with no current mods?
Or would I be better off saving some $$$ and getting an Aeroforce Interceptor?

I realize, if I do end up with a top swap on this car, I will need some sort of re-program. But I am very hesitant about writing code to a PCM on my DD. Not only that, but the engine already has 116k on it, so if I top swap this motor, its gonna have quite a few miles on it already.

I guess my main question, is the HPT software to re-program, going to be worth anything on a pretty much stock car? If I don't mod anything else on it, can I expect any gains from it?

i'd pick up the HP Tuner....

you won't gain much tuning a stock car, but you'll be pleased with the adjustments you can make to the transmission settings. the factory settings are just way too lazy. as you modify the car the tuner will be invaluable. once you have a basic understanding of the PCM tables you'll realize its less intimidating than it appears

have fun

when you flash your car with hp tuners you will be writing calibration only 99% of the time

I have done that literally hundreds of times on my 203,000 mile daily driver. just follow the instructions and always use battery power only - no 12v power supply , invertor etc...when using the tuner or scanner and make sure the battery level is not low before flashing

I started modding my first 3800 car at around 105k and thats the one with 203k now ( vid in sig;)) so it should have plenty of life left to begin modding as long as the plenum/gasket issue with NA 3800's has been addressed.

I have flashed a friends NA 3800 many times and the gains are definately noticeable , like k shef said especially trans settings such as raising shift points , allowing downshifts at higher speeds , raising shift pressures , shortening shift times.

also you can get rid of torque management I have been running with it all removed in both engine & trans tabs all locations for about 80k without issues.

you can also remove the 108 mph top speed limiter , change fan settings , reset MIL lights , delete codes for items you remove like egr , cat ,evap ,etc..

then when you do add your top swap or mods you will allready know your way around your tune

my friends na car I have flashed is a 98 regal ls , he has made a homemade intake , deleted the u bend , and added an hv3 insert so minor mods - I am pretty confident the car will now crack 14's - he was very happy when we tuned it.