How would you go about fixing this?

ddsistheplan15

Bought the car as a roller. Before I put the motor in I want to get the firewall (and rust at the bottom) addressed. The individual I bought it from said that they installed the floorboards. Should I have the floorboards reinstalled/rewelded or what would be the best plan of action to resolve the rust at the bottom? In other tips for cleaning up the engine bay? I dont want to put the engine in and cause more problems. TIA!

Attachments

• IMG_8710.jpg
    IMG_8710.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_8711.jpg
    IMG_8711.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_8712.jpg
    IMG_8712.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_8713.jpg
    IMG_8713.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_8714.jpg
    IMG_8714.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 220
I would clean the pinch weld groove, on the inside of the floor, weld it all the way across, prime it, and seam seal it, then paint it.
Once that's done, I'd lay down a layer of Fatmat, sound/heat mat.
I'd cut back the flange as far as you can. Makes it cleaner, and gets it out of the way of the trans and down pipe.
A 2" cut off wheel, on a die grinder, will do that job, just fine.
A side benefit, it'll get rid of most of that shitty welding!
Then grind/blast the engine side of the panels, to get rid of the rust, and prime/paint it.
The rest of the firewall needs to be degreased, da'd with some 280 paper, primed and painted.

rust bullet spray and sand paper ..to see how much you can save ....and re prime and paint .... depends on how bad it is once you get in there on it ... gemplers sells a great rust converter to paint in spray can ...GL

I would clean the pinch weld groove, on the inside of the floor, weld it all the way across, prime it, and seam seal it, then paint it.
I'd cut back the flange as far as you can. Makes it cleaner, and gets it out of the way of the trans and down pipe.
Then grind/blast the engine side of the panels, to get rid of the rust, and prime/paint it.
The rest of the firewall needs to be degreased, da'd with some 280 paper, primed and painted.
you need to be re greased .... :p...ole James dean is the man ...listen and learn :cool:

Last edited:

Thanks for the detailed reply. I wrote everything down. I really appreciate it!

I think I am a little discouraged with the amount of rust. I know that it is a common problem with TTOP cars. Has anyone dealt with this type of problem (poor welding jobs, a lot of rust) and had a good outcome?

I think I am a little discouraged with the amount of rust. I know that it is a common problem with TTOP cars. Has anyone dealt with this type of problem (poor welding jobs, a lot of rust) and had a good outcome?
A T top car. Use care, as to whom you allow to repair it. ;)

I'd look real carefully at the A pillars.