How to tell when a coil pack is dying?

mrbuyit

I have a problem with my 87 GN and I dont know what it is. The car is relatively unmolested, and has 33k original miles. Two days ago, while driving, I came off of a light under a bit of boost, when I reach about 40mph the car sort of coughed and died. I ****ed into neutral and coasted for a few blocks, tried restarting and it started. Drove to my destination, no problems but did not get into the boost. Later that day, I had tires put on, was leaving the tire shop merging into traffic, under a bit of boost. Once again when I got up to about 40 or so, it coughed and died. I coasted a few blocks, but this time it wouldnt start. Pulled into a parking lot and sat for about 15 minutes, tried starting and it started. FOr the rest of the day it was fine, as well as most of the day yeesterday. Late yesterday afternoon, I came off of a light hard, it really coughed, sounded like the cat converter blew-up, and started to run really bad. I had to featehr the pedal all the way howm, coulndt get over 35-40. Black smoke coming out of the tailpipe when I stepped on the gas. Really running bad, will start but wont idle. Fuel pump is whinning, when it starts, starts after a couple cranks, sounds of for a second, then as soon as the idle backs down it dies. Not sure what to do. Does this sound like a coil pack problem possibly? It has a 92 octane chip from Kirbans, the car up to now has always really ran well. Just did a recent tune-up with wires, plugs, fule filter, etc. I did notice that a vacuum line was popped of, not sure what it is, or the device it is connected to. Could this have anything to do with it? I did put it back on both times when it died. I attached a picture.

Attachments

• STA71299.JPG
    STA71299.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 438
pictured is the boost soleniod, the two vacuum hoses pictured should run to the wastegate and the outlet on the cold side of the turbo.
not too sure about whats going on with it, does the SES light come on?

buickbert

I would also suspect the MAF, if you have a scan tool I would watch the Air flow while driving under load to see what happens. Try a good MAF to see if that at helps

I'd also try another chip, if you have an emission chip try that to see if she fires up. My chip went bad recently and I had the same no start issue you had. I popped in my emission chip and car ran fine. I ended up going with a new style LS1 MAF, translator and an extreme chip from Full throttle.

Good luck

Possibly a MAF?

I have a TinMan kit, but it has the stock MAF. The SES light does not come-on. The car starts great, after trning the key and a couple of turns of the starter. I do not have the stock chip, it didnt come with the car. I also do not have a scanmaster. Any way to tell without a scanmaster if the MAF is bad?

Can I just take it off?

pictured is the boost soleniod, the two vacuum hoses pictured should run to the wastegate and the outlet on the cold side of the turbo.
not too sure about whats going on with it, does the SES light come on?

buickbert

What would cause the hose to pop off from the tee? Is it necessary to have it connected? SES light does not come-on.

Most of the time when the MAF is going bad just tap the MAF with the handle of a screwdriver and see if the idle changes. If so then voila!

What would cause the hose to pop off from the tee? Is it necessary to have it connected? SES light does not come-on.

The device is your Waste Gate Solenoid...it is connected porperly (one--either-- side is a bleed/vent to atm).

The tee ("Y") MUST have all hoses connected--or you will not get waste-gate opening to prevent overboost & resultant KR (poss. engine damage...). These lines/hoses are always under pressure & should be zip-tied at all ends!!

Check your IC outlet & TB inlet hoses conns for tightness--make sure they are not separating under boost...

Most of the time when the MAF is going bad just tap the MAF with the handle of a screwdriver and see if the idle changes. If so then voila!

When I get home tonight, I will try tapping on it and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

The device is your Waste Gate Solenoid...it is connected porperly (one--either-- side is a bleed/vent to atm).

The tee ("Y") MUST have all hoses connected--or you will not get waste-gate opening to prevent overboost & resultant KR (poss. engine damage...). These lines/hoses are always under pressure & should be zip-tied at all ends!!

Check your IC outlet & TB inlet hoses conns for tightness--make sure they are not separating under boost...

I will zip tie these when I get home, all three ends. Is it unusual that the end comong form teh solenoid would pop off? I will also check my hoses as you mentioned. I tightened them up about one year ago, (2000 miles ago), but I will check again. Do you think it is worth the investment to use the aftermarket turbo hoses and clamps? Right now it just has the standard screw clamps.