How to stop Houston DP leak?

basherbob

I understand that you are not supposed to clamp a houston downpipe where it slips into the dumppipe to allow for engine twist. BUT how do you seal that joint? or should I clamp it tight?

I have sealed every one that I have installed. Probably 10 or so in 7 years. I like to use the stainless band clamps. They dont crimp the pipe and allow for easier removal of the DP or Test pipe.

i always use high temp rtv. i dont like clamping it because it can add stress to your header as the body or engine moves around.

surej

So one person clamps it down tight and another lets the rtv flex. Anyone considered exhaust wrap / tape?

ive always clamped mine.... there is plenty of flex in the rubber exhaust hangers that will absorb any motor flexing. Ive honestly never heard of not clamping it... my DPs always came with a clamp and everything. Although i dont' worry much about the motor moving as i have both poly mounts.

So I ended up with both a wide ss band clamp AND RTV in the slip joint. Seems to have done the trick. Can now breathe while waiting at a stop light with the windows up. Thanks for the ideas!

I know you've already done it, but I'm a clamper too. I've never heard otherwise. Never had any trouble either, but I too have poly mounts so there's not much (if any) movement.

Jim