How to set rod offset on piston pin?

jawort0

What is the proper way to set the offset of the rod on a stock Two Dot rod? I know the 109 LC2 is an offset rod, but with my new TRW forged pistons, the pin is sticking out about 1mm on the side. I assume I need to remove and send back to the machine shop, but I need to determine the spec for setting this properly. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks, Joe

i had the same problem, i have a piston press so i just bumped them and trial fit them all to the crank until they were correct.

yes they are offset to line up with the rod throw of the crank.

No one on this board has ever rebuilt a 109 LC2 before?!?!?! That is what is sounds like. Either that, or there are alot of 10 second Grand Nationals out there with piston pins sticking out the side of the piston since no one knew to center the piston and pin with the offset rod!!!

Please provide feedback...

Here ya go, courtesy of my old buddy Steve Wood...

Attachments

• connectingrodinstall.jpg
    connectingrodinstall.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 132
Russ,
Thanks for the picture, but that does not answer my question. My question is how far do you press the pin through the rod?

Russ,
Thanks for the picture, but that does not answer my question. My question is how far do you press the pin through the rod?

Well sorry, that wasn't real clear even after rereading the original post. There's no black magic involved, just get the pin centered evenly.

The pin offset is .098" And most 10 second cars do not have the pins gouging the cylinder walls because most of us use full floating pins, which I highly reccommend.