How to secure front braided lines??

regal81455

How is everyone retaining the front braided lines from the caliper after making the connection to the hard line at the bracket near the upper a arm? Is there some kind of adapter or something? The old rubber line went through the bracket and then was secured with a brake clip. TIA

How is everyone retaining the front braided lines from the caliper after making the connection to the hard line at the bracket near the upper a arm? Is there some kind of adapter or something? The old rubber line went through the bracket and then was secured with a brake clip. TIA

If they are a stock type replacement hose it too should have the flange for the frame mount & clip arrangement. If they don't I'd send them back.

If these are AN hoses then an inverted flare to AN adapter is required. This piece will have the flange to accommodate the frame mount & clip arrangement.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Yes they are the 4AN. Is the stock line size 3/16" Im not near the car at the moment but would like to run over to the local Hydro dealer and pick these up at lunch. Thanks for your help!

Yes they are the 4AN. Is the stock line size 3/16" Im not near the car at the moment but would like to run over to the local Hydro dealer and pick these up at lunch. Thanks for your help!

A little late for a lunch time run, but I can't confirm the line/nut size. The car here is highly modified. What is in it doesn't always represent a stock set up.

RemoveBeforeFlight

A little late for a lunch time run, but I can't confirm the line/nut size. The car here is highly modified. What is in it doesn't always represent a stock set up.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Its not a big deal - THANKS THOUGH!...I just took the driver side line off and the bracket and will bring all of it with me tomorrow.

As for not representing stock - jeez I know your pain - there's not one part on this car that hasn't been messed with or swapped out for some other vehicles stuff, my parts guy HATES me - shoot Ive got a AOD shifting my gears behind the buick 464 - heheehhee :biggrin:

This isn't my car, but I now have a pretty similar setup. Is this what you mean? I just used the clip to hold the steel line in place. Unfortunately, the concentric end doesn't lock in place like the stock hose, but the clip on the back side of the bracket holds it in place.

Attachments

• spacer.jpg
    spacer.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 212
This isn't my car, but I now have a pretty similar setup. Is this what you mean? I just used the clip to hold the steel line in place. Unfortunately, the concentric end doesn't lock in place like the stock hose, but the clip on the back side of the bracket holds it in place.

Yes that is what I was asking...thanks again Red T!! Im not certain how the clip would hold the line Ive got its much small for the clip -and it would appear in the pic you've posted that he may have the adapter on it as well. Hard to tell for sure.

As I was saying the hole in the bracket is like a odd shaped gear that the factory brake hose locks in, so you can't turn it, and then the clip holds it from backing out of the bracket. Those clips do hold those Russell lines from coming out of the bracket, but you could turn them as there is no locking. The thing is, they won't come out of the bracket and and my opinion is that's adequate. :)

Here's why I don't think I can do what your talking about. This is my joint at that bracket currently.

Attachments

• IMAG0154.jpg
    IMAG0154.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 176
OK. Well you don't have direct replacement braided lines which I thought you had. Thanks for the photo.

Here is the set up. Using -4 AN flex line, -4AN to inverted flare adapter, then the hard line.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Attachments

• An2InvFlr_a.jpg
    An2InvFlr_a.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 162
That's the solution. Where can that adapter be purchased?

Most AN brake hoses/fittings are for -3. However, IMHO, they are too weak for street use. The -4 AN stuff being a little more difficult to find, but is out there.

Here is an example:

JEGS 100781 JEGS Brake Line Fitting Adapters

JEGS 100781 - JEGS Brake Line Fitting Adapters

Note that it always helps to hit the manufacturers web site. Just to double check what the actual fitting is.

And, don't screw together a mish-match of fittings. Make sure of which/what fitting is being threaded/seated into another fitting. Nothing worse then having brakes go out.

RemoveBeforeFlight