how to replace water pump???

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
long story short: its my only car, water pump is leaking coolant everywhere after car is shut off. I have the new pump, how hard is this going to be? Please help, I have to get this done ASAP!

Pull the intercooler, uppipe, etc. which is in the way. Also you will have to pull the accessory belt using the tensioner. Drain coolant and start removing the bolts. Label them all to avoid confusion. Scrape the old gasket outta there and sand it smooth. Then put the new one on. It is not a hard procedure, just take your time.

Now would be a great time to do timing chain if you haven't already. HTH

Pump re and re

Be sure to dope up the bolts that fasten the pump to FC. Some of them go into coolant jackets .... so to be sure dope em all. My last pump nearly needed c4 to get it separated from the FC ... Guess I over did it a bit with the gasket goop.

If you check that link that someone posted about the new site for the gnttype.org site I had a replacement procedure out there.

Use this info in addition to that already mentioned...
When you take the bolts out, place them in the correct hole in the new pump on a bench as you pull them, one by one. After you remove the old pump, place it one the bench next to the new one and move the bolts over one at a time to the same location on the old one. This way you will maintain a reference to where the bolts go when you put it back together.

Clean the mating surface thoroughly as mentioned. I like to use a drill with a small wire wheel.

Run a tiny bead of RTV on each side of the new gasket, but not so much that it will squeeze into the water channels upon assembly. Just a dab will do it.

Another hint: Before you remove the belt, break loose the 4 bolts holding the pump pulley on...