How to rebuild a stock 86-87 turbo

yes very good instructions indeed thanks for your time iam saving this in my favorites

Well done!

So when you do rebuild the engine can you do the same for us!

Please :cool:

Thanks for the info here. I have a dumb question, since Discostewie did my Alky/chip mods, the turbo spools up TERRIBLY slow.
I thought about new valve springs and a new turbo to help, but could I just rebuild mine to make it spool faster?

Again, sorry for the dumb question, it's stock motor/turbo with 62K miles on it and has DP and cold-air intake.

Thanks for the info here. I have a dumb question, since Discostewie did my Alky/chip mods, the turbo spools up TERRIBLY slow.
I thought about new valve springs and a new turbo to help, but could I just rebuild mine to make it spool faster?

Again, sorry for the dumb question, it's stock motor/turbo with 62K miles on it and has DP and cold-air intake.

could be the tune. You should post this in the general tech or turbo section

What needs to be upgraded to turn a stock turbo into a TA-49? Is it worth it if we then have to send the turbo somewhere to be balanced?

What needs to be upgraded to turn a stock turbo into a TA-49? Is it worth it if we then have to send the turbo somewhere to be balanced?

It's not something you can do yourself Rick. The intake housing has to be machined for the larger wheel so you can do it.

Excellent write up!! It takes a lot of patience to take the amount of pictures you did. Thank you for this.

WOW what a great show! Fantastic instructions and explicit pictures. Thank You for your expertise and time. T lover

Thank you for showing us what it takes to rebuild a turbo. I look forward to
using all the info you provided! How can we contact SCE for the gasket?
steve

Hi Joey,
The kit that I got came with a paper gasket instead of the o-ring on the
compressor back plate. Do you think I should use it or just re-use the
old o-ring? Thanks, steve

Hi Joey,
The kit that I got came with a paper gasket instead of the o-ring on the
compressor back plate. Do you think I should use it or just re-use the
old o-ring? Thanks, steve

Id try to get a hold of the rubber oring....sorry for the delay in replying