How to Perform a Compression Test

87MUSL

Stupid question.....but I've never performed a compression test on my GN b4. Trying to diagnose a blown headgasket.

Do I....

(1) remove all spark plugs and from engine
(2) install pressure gauge in cyliner being tested and crank over engine for 4-5 seconds with throttle in WOT position.
(3) record value...all cylinders should be within 10-15% of one another.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks in advance.

-Mark

I think you also want to disconnect the orange ecm wire close to the battery and take off the up pipe and put a screw driver in the tb to hold the "butterfly" open to duplicate wot.

HTH

Originally posted by Just a Six??
Why does throttle have to be at WOT? What if you do it without touching the Throttle??:confused:

You will create vacuum in the intake and the numbers will be lower. Not a big deal since you are looking for constincy between the cylinders and not a specific number.

test

Remove all plugs---- disconnect ecm---hold throttle wide open---crank until it HITS 4 times on the cyl. you are testing. The warmer the eng. the better.

Not trying to hijack ya, however same questions...

how much of a difference does it make if you don't take out all of the other plugs? I recently did mine and seen 155 - 165 psi? I didn't realize I had to take the other plugs out. I did have the throttle open though.

Originally posted by turborayjay
Not trying to hijack ya, however same questions...

how much of a difference does it make if you don't take out all of the other plugs? I recently did mine and seen 155 - 165 psi? I didn't realize I had to take the other plugs out. I did have the throttle open though.

It just makes sense. You're gonna do all the cylinders anyway, and the empty plug holes make it easier on the battery... ;)