How to pass inspection..

Gothmog

Lieutenant of Morgul
Just failed on the 78 Regal V8..
Idle Fail
HC ppm 436 ....needed to pass 300

anyone have any tricks?

Running rich, lean the carb using the mixture screws.

Get the catalytic converter good and hot.
Fresh, thick oil will cut down on oil getting past the rings.

Agreed Rich. Pun not included. LOL Screw the idle mixture screws in a little and start sniffing the tail pipe to see if it's rich. If you can't get it that way add a gallon of denatured alky to about a half tank of gas and then screw the APT valve in about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. With a good hot cat and carb ajdusted right you should be fine.:)

Change the oil, fresh fuel & drive it at freeway speeds as much as possible on your way to the test station. You want the Cat Can to be hot. Don't shut off the car if you have to wait for your test.

My '87 failed at first. I performed the above & it passed.

Good luck
~JM~

She passed. Thanks guys.. I turned in the mixture screw and turned up the idle, along with two bottles of HEET...made it.
Love this car.
1978492.JPG

Wow! That's a good looker. The interior looks real clean from what can be seen. Congrats on passing the test. By any chance do you live in a state that offers Historic Plates? My '87 just qualified by being 25 years old. The Historic Plate (at least in my state) never needs to be renewed & I'm now exempt from emissions testing.

~JM~

Yes, they have historic plates here, that was my next option if i failed again. only certain DMV have them so after waiting in line at mine they said I could drive two towns over to the other DMV to wait in line there..so I got the regular registration.

the interior is nice on this car, white leather bench seat..soon to be ripped out though as I go to bucket seats( which are in the upholstry shop as I speak) :)