how to install new axle bearings and seals

87lc2/wo2

I'll be recieving new axle bearings and seals from "Randy's ring & pinion". I have a seal puller for now. I know that I'll have to remove the rear differential cover, push in either axle and remove a c-clip with a magnet. Is the seal hard to pull out? Is the bearing pressed in? Does the bearing need to be pressed back in?

Remove diff cover. Then spin carrier until you can see 5/16 bolt for pinion shaft.Remove bolt. Shaft has to come out to push in axles. Once shaft is out push in both axles and remove c-clips with magnet. Pull axles out. Removes axle seals they come out easy can use screwdriver and hammer or prybar. Will need axle bearing puller and slide hammer to remove axle bearings they are a tight fit. Once out I took an old axle bearing race and welded it on to a piece of pipe and made my own axle bearing installer to hammer new axle bearing in. Install new seals with a block of wood and hammer. Install axles c-clips and pinion shaft with bolt. Might want to install new pinion shaft bolt they can break sometimes and they are cheap any auto parts store should have them.

Be sure and inspect the axle/bearing surface. These older cars are notorious for axle pitting. If your axle/bearing surface even looks questionable, then you need axle bearing repair kits. Same thing except it moves the bearing outward towards smoother bearing surface and the seal is now part of the bearing. Otherwise you'll have to purchase new axles.

Yeah check axles for wear. You will normally have noise from rear if they pitted.

As you are pulling the axle out, use the "button" end to flip the seal out of the housing. Take the axle shaft end and use the button end to pry it out.