How to i.d. LT1 MAF?

Matt Weiser

It's an F.U.V.
My local u-pull-it junkyard is having a half-off day soon and I was thinking I might look for an LT1 MAF to do the Trans + upgrade. But I really have no idea what to look for. Did the right sensor only come on certain cars/years? Is there a part number i should look for on the sensor? Any help appreciated...

Besides the LT1 Camaros & Firebirds, look for 94-96 fullsize rear wheel drive GM cars with the LT1 motor... like the Chevy Caprice, Buick Roadmaster, Caddy Fleetwoods.

Our yard gets old taxis (caprice) and limos (caddys). Just make sure that the motor is an LT1 and not the smaller v8.

I got mine out of the caddy & it works.

Good luck... dave

Thanks!

Bonehead question here: How do I make sure I'm looking at an LT1 motor and not the smaller V8? Any unique valve covers, intake housing, labels or other unique appearance?

pictures are better than words so here it an ebay link to an LT1 intake... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2406611935&category=33553

another feature of the LT1 motor is the water pump. It looks like this... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2407169308&category=33604. there no fan belt or pulleys like the TRs.

Another tip is look for taxicabs & limo especially chevy caprice & caddy fleetwood. That's what they use around here. (Toronto Canada) Watch out for high mileage cars. I been told that these MAF can be clean/rebuilt so if they're cheap enough, maybe you should grab 2... one as a spare

sorry, I don't have a part#... the tag on my MAF is not readable!!!

I hope that helps.... good luck.

Three kinds of "LT1" style MAF sensors.

I have the AC Delco numbers at home. Something like 252-353 or something.

I will get them up ASAP.

Then, once you have the part numers, you can go to acdelco.com and print out all of the cars/trucks that had them.

How much do they charge? We got two "u-pull it'"s down here. One charges I think $20 and the other like $35.:mad:

Thx for the help guys. Tomorrow's the day, half off at the u-pull-it! I may even bring a wheelbarrow!

If you can get those part numbers it would be great.

Originally posted by Matt Weiser
Thx for the help guys. Tomorrow's the day, half off at the u-pull-it! I may even bring a wheelbarrow!

Man, I wish the junkyards around me had deals like that. They dont even have 4th gen F-bodys or any g-bodys to begin w/. If you dont find any, check the LT1 message boards. I got one for $50, then decided to use a 87MAF instead. Sold the LT1 MAF on ebay for $75:D

3.5" LS1 MAF - 213-353 GM#25179711 - 1998 and newer 5.7L?

3.5" LT1 MAF - 213-252 - used on 441 cars - gmc yukon, firebird, isuzu truck, vans, etc

3.0" "Impala SS" MAF - 213-352 GM#25180303 - used on 255 cars, buick roadmaster, chevy barettea, cadillac fleetwood

86-87 GN MAF#25007866 & 25007861

Again, go to acdelco.com and you can print the lists out, if you have a printer

Listen, if you can pick up a 1993 style ford f 150 drivers side head light and turnsignal for cheap, I will gladly pay you for it. I can't seem to find one down here.

:cool:

Don't forget to check the N/A regals for aluminum bumpers, aluminum brake drums, and front bumper "export" brackets...;)

Holy crud, I had no idea that MAF came on so many cars! I just looked it up on acdelco.com like you said and WOW!

This is encouraging because my day at the boneyard today was a bust. I couldn't find a MAF but then I wasn't looking for all these cars! I didn't know they even used it on fwd cars. I'm sure I can find one now. A lot of cars on that list are in this yard (bonnevilles, cutlasses, luminas etc. etc.).

Thanks!

This yard is also crawling with Regals, Monte Carlos, Grand Prixs, and just about every imaginable g-body. Unfortunately, they're short on Malibus right now, which is what I'm really looking for at the moment. But there are early-Regal aluminum drums out the wazoo and all kinds of stock g-body frame braces everywhere, but I've already got all that stuff. I did find one early Regal with an aluminum core support, and that was awful tempting, but what a b*tch to get off and I didn't really have the right tools.

Anyway, I may go back tomorrow before work (still 1/2 off!) and look again for a MAF. I think they charge $30, so 1/2 off = $15!

I'll let you know if I find that F150 light set. If I don't make it back tomorrow, I do go there regularly so I'll keep lookin'. I know they have F150s there.

you found aluminum brake drums? I don't know how much the yard charges for them, but you could probably sell them on here for $50-$60 / pr.

If you find any g-body's with grey interior, you can probably sell a lot of those parts on here also.