How to go about cleaning heads on car?

F8L WS6

I just bought an 86 Turbo T Type that had been sitting around for a while and from what I can tell never really taken care of. This car was totally bone stock all around. 123k miles. So I went ahead Sunday morning and pulled it all apart to have the intake and all cleaned up because of all the buildup. The small hole in front of the intake was clogged with an odd black substance that was hard as a rock. I have no idea what it is but thats the reason I yanked it apart for cleaning since I assume that was what was causing my Code 32 (EGR).

Come to find out there is that same type of substance in parts of the head and such. My main question would be, how should I go about cleaning these spots on the heads? What cleaner could I use? I didn't know what was safe to be using or spraying on it. I was trying to avoid pulling the heads off if I could but if I have to I will.

Some pictures of it.

Pass Side Head :
629834_78_full.jpg

Driver Side Head :
629834_79_full.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. I am just nervous to do anything stupid and would like any input. :)

Any decent chip does away with egr anyway, so it won't matter if you clean it. Make sure the IAC path is clear.