How to fix Exhaust Leak at Headers?

1KWIKSIX

Just finished installing some original Kenne Bell Headers and a SE Turbo 3" Down Pipe made to clear Kenne Bell / ATR style headers.....fit is great and the installation went in pretty easily (although not much room to spare). Have both the headers (cross over pipe too) and SE Turbo 3" SS down pipe all Jet Hot 2000 Black coated.....

When removing the original buick exhaust manifolds / headers, I noticed that only the passenger side hade a gasket installed. I installed copper gaskets on both sides of the headers and unfortunately I have a small exhaust leak. While cleaning up the cylinder head exhaust ports I noticed some slight raised areas on the head, but did not address as I thought the header gaskets would take care of it. Unfortunately, I think I may have guessed wrong.

I'm now looking at removing the set up and installing some REMFLEX 13-002 exhaust gaskets as they are designed to crush on installation and are made to seal this type of situation. Anyone have any recommendations on this?

I don't want to have the cyl heads removed and resurfaced, and am hoping there is a fairly easy way to remove these raised areas while still mounted on the engine. Is there a proper tool or procedure to accomplish this? I was thinking of maybe a small palm sander but am looking for any help from members who have been there before?

Thanks,
Dave

I know the problem is the head but it would be a good idea to resurface the header flange while you have it off,my machinist usually just does it for free because it only takes a few minutes so 20.00 bucks should cover it. Palm sander sounds good for the head just put some paper towels in the ports so the crap don't get in the chamber if the valve is open and don't forget to remove them when done. It might be impossible but if you can use a flat file that would be best,just be conservative whichever route you take.