How to change a TTA fuel pump in 30 minutes or less

You are a Dick! I think he did a very professional job should have been like this from the factory. Some of us like to enjoy these pieces of junk. So if you really do own some TTA's go out and put another coat of wax on them and pat yourself on the back.

I just saw this post .. I dont post often at all.. but owning a few of these ...

I have to say .. YOU ARE A HACK !

YOU DONT DESERVE THIS CAR ... WOW you saved yourself 4 hours worth of work... how lazy can people be. you mention being able to change a fuel pump on the side of the road.. COME ON be for real !

HACK !

Like the last post said...you are a DICK! and yes I can change the fuel pump on the side of the road....matter of fact the pump failed on the way to the track...limped the car there and changed the fuel pump in the pits at a turbo Buick event. 11,000+ views on this thread and at least 100 e-mails to me on how to do this with and you with your 9 posts come in here and shout insults. You can speak your opinion like others...you don't need to be a DICK about it. Opinions are like A$$holes...everybody has one I suppose.

Welcome to the board :rolleyes:

By the way hope to see you in Ohio next July :rolleyes:

I just saw this post .. I dont post often at all.. but owning a few of these ...

YOU DONT DESERVE THIS CAR ... WOW you saved yourself 4 hours worth of work... how lazy can people be. you mention being able to change a fuel pump on the side of the road.. COME ON be for real !

HACK !

He is far from a hack. Did you see the pics of the red car in the beginning of the post? That car is mine. When I pulled the carpet that is what I found. Whoever did that is the hack. Gm should have done that from the factory.I cant tell you how many panhard bar bushings I had to replace because of seized fasteners.Better yet when they weld the complete exhaust together. Most of the new cars have trap doors for pump access. If gm would have thought of it back then they would have did it. Imagine the warranty dollars they would have saved. I worked for chevy for seven years. So I had my share of them. By the way, welcome to the board

HACK !

Shut up.

I don't think I can do that to a beater import let alone a TTA ..

Why such the hurry to change it ... what are you on a pit crew.. being clocked ..

To each their own .. Like I said you don't deserve that car. You cut a hole in probably 1 of 0nly 1000 TTA's left ... and I'm the Dick ... Burn it for all I care.. only makes the values of others go up ... I can just see that now .. trying to rationalize putting a hole in the trunk . It's your car.. do as you like .

I don't think I can do that to a beater import let alone a TTA ..

Why such the hurry to change it ... what are you on a pit crew.. being clocked ..

To each their own .. Like I said you don't deserve that car. You cut a hole in probably 1 of 0nly 1000 TTA's left ... and I'm the Dick ... Burn it for all I care.. only makes the values of others go up ... I can just see that now .. trying to rationalize putting a hole in the trunk . It's your car.. do as you like .

Yes Dickweed, you are a dick. I’m pretty sure that Scott did not come on here for your permission or approval to “hack” his car up. He came up with a creative solution to fix his TTA. And he thought he would share his information. Last I checked he did not ask for your opinion, nor does he care.
FYI his fuel pump went up at the race track an hour and a half away from home. His car was not a trailer queen. He called me on my way to track and asked me to pick up a pump to get him home. It just so happened that we stopped at probably one and only parts store that kept TTA fuel pumps in stock. So by the time I got to the race track his fuel pump was already out and on the ground. Meanwhile you would still be trying to find little rubber booties to but on top of the jack stands so wouldn’t scratch the floor of your car. Or you would be waiting for a heated/air conditioned semi. Because I’m sure a car of your caliber would not be caught dead on the back of a rollback. And I’m sure it would never be on the hook of a tow truck.
It’s Scott’s car and he is far from being a hack. He is a machinist by trade. And it shows in his conversion. It wasn’t Jim Bob Joe out there with a BFH and a set of snips. He also does all of the work himself. So who the hell are you to tell Scott he is a hack. Have you ever seen it in person??? Or are you an internet troll with fewer than 15 posts that just came on here to start trouble? I’d be willing to bet the last.

In respect to hacking up the back of a third gen F-Body to access the fuel pump, it really isn't that big of a deal. I mean, they do sell factory replacement sheetmetal, not to mention the junkyards being full of them, and depending on one's welding skills, nobody would even know that it was cut. There is really no reason to argue about this, because anything can be brought back to the way that it was. I have seen GTA's starting out as a hardtop, getting t-tops, then going back to the hardtop, and nobody would ever know that the entire roof was removed. I'm pretty sure what Scott did would be a breeze to put back to the way that it was, if he even wanted to of course.... :wink:

Scott, think you did a great job on the access panel. Hats off! Nice not having to struggle with the gas tank to do a pump change. Purists would never like this no matter what but what would they do if their pump craps out on the side of the road? Let's say you are the way to a national event cross country and the fp lets go, you are in East Bumfvck, whereever, no cell service, so you have to hike to the nearest town for help while your car is on the side of the road. No thanks. Might even do this to my GN to piss people off. :biggrin:

Scott's car is the CLEANEST TTA Ive ever seen!! All the modifications are done neatly and cleanly. It would be the first thing I'd do if I owned one. It should've been done from the factory.

We just did this to a 4th Gen Formula this past Sunday. We didnt feel like dropping the 3" exhaust or the 12 bolt out of the way. So we cut it up.

Granted it wasnt as clean of a job as Scott's, but it couldve been worse. We didnt do too bad for our first time.

And I agree with what D-HAM said 100%.

Thats a big job if you never have done one. The rear shocks get disconnected at the bottom. The exhaust has to come down and the panhard par and upper support and heat shields. then the fuel lines get disconnected and the straps get removed and then the tank comes crashing down:eek: just kidding the tank will drop but it wont fall out.you have to twist and turn it to get the filler tube out.Then pull sender and swap pump and install everything in reverse order. Sounds pretty easy dont it? Its not to bad unless bolts are rusted in bushings in panhard bar. Spohn makes a nice replacement . have fun The cost depends how everything comes apart. Pump and strainer 175.00 labor from 3hours to whatever it takes to get it done. No one in their right mind will give an exact estimate on replacing one of these pumps. I tell the customer its not my rust its theirs:biggrin: I have had them range from $400 to $800.

Don't be a wuss. I did this on my camaro 3 times:eek: I'm a professional at droppin tanks and tearing down steering collums. I can't do the gas tank in under 30 minutes but I can repair a sloppy steering collum in less than 30. I think my record is 22 minutes:cool: