How the HECK are you guys fitting 9.5" wide with no modding?

BlackMetal

After all the wheel shopping I've been doing, today is the first day I actually checked out my own car to see what I thought would fit. From browsing these boards, I got the impression that most of you say 9.5" wide in the back is the limit before you frame notch or roll the fenders. HOW?! I felt behind my OEM rims, feels like about 1" before you'd hit the frame, and maybe 1.5" before you'd hit the fender lip. I thought maybe my rearend wasn't centered, so I checked the other side, same thing. I can't even imagine getting a 9.5" wheel with 4.75" backspacing to fit. That would mean an additional 1.25" of wheel going towards the frame, and an additional 1.25" coming out towards the lip.

Hell, in my other thread about wheels, someone just replied that you could fit 10" rims with 5" backspacing. Seems impossible to me???

The only way I could see doing it is if you guys are spacing them away from the frame and then running airbags or something in back so that the fender lip never comes in contact with the tire.

I've got 17X9.5 with a BS of 4.75 with f1gsd3 out back. My rearend was 3/16 to the driverside. No airbags. Getting ready to drop her an 1".

...18 x 9.5's w Toyo's 295/35x18's..........

Where are you in Chicago?

Attachments

• GN w Simmons wheels 064 - Red.jpg
    GN w Simmons wheels 064 - Red.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 544
4.75" BS seems to work perfect. Mine are very close to the frame and semi close to the lip, but i have no problems at all after i installed bilstiens (i did have slight fender rub with my worn out stockers) But they fit perfect. My friends T that i posted in the other thread is a 17x10 with 5" Bs and he has no problems at all. Most have seen my pics before but here are a couple that show what they look like on the car.
http://www.ls1camaro.net/freehosting/gn551.JPG
http://www.ls1camaro.net/freehosting/biggn11.JPG

I'm right on the border of Chicago and Park Ridge.

Haha I guess I'll have to take you guys on your word, but it sure felt like there wasn't too much room to spare. I want airbags anyway to see what they can do for my stance, so maybe I'll toss those in at the same time.

I have 17x9.5 rears with 275/40 drag radials. My car has Eibach springs installed so it is lowered about an 1" and I have no problems with rubbing. I have no spacers installed either.

SLOWSIXER said:
FBSideoiler427 the car looks sweet what wheels are those if you dont mind :confused:

Slowsixer - those are Simmons F-Series, 18x8.5's fronts and 18x9.5's rear.

If we can get 5 commitments, I'll spearhead a group purchase with GroupA and get a discount for our cars or for any car.

What back spacing and how much would they run during a group buy?

FBSideoiler427 said:
Slowsixer - those are Simmons F-Series, 18x8.5's fronts and 18x9.5's rear.

If we can get 5 commitments, I'll spearhead a group purchase with GroupA and get a discount for our cars or for any car.

Turbo231 said:
What back spacing and how much would they run during a group buy?

BS=4.765" front and rears

GP price depends on style, size, color, with or w/o tires, plus lugs, locks, and shipping.

$$$$$give me a qoute

I would like a quote for your same rims.

2 rims at 17 x 9.5 BS = 4.7
2 rims at 16 x 6 BS = to push rim nicely to the fender (3ish maybe?)

No tires shipped to 54173. If those above sizes arn't available, pleast tell me my options.

Thanks
JP