How reliable are 84/85 hot air cars.

A hot air is what you make of it. I believe mine to have over 175,000 on it (body the motor of course is pretty fresh) But if you really want to go fast you can. It does happen. But as a reliable cruiser they are just as reliable as the intercooled cars, which like any other 20 year old car can have break downs and need repairs.

About 135,000 miles ago, I bought my 84T new for 12.5k. Over the past 3 years I spent another 12k or so restoring it as an occasional/nice day driver. In another 135,000 miles I'll do it again, (if I live that long).

There is an 87T I've had for a few years that is now being restored to daily driver. The 87 is a bit more brutish when the loud pedal is depressed, the 84 being more gentlemanly about town, but capable of driving across the country - tomorrow if I want to.

If I'm looking for that Dodge Challenger that lives up the road though, the 87 rolls out.

If you have a nice HA and don't mess with it too much it will last as long as you want it to - cause they don't have quite enough power to hurt themselves :D

Boost231 said:
im still lost whats a intercooler? :wink:
Those are those "things" those other cars have, you've heard though intercoolers drool while hot airs rule, right??? :cool:

There is nothing wrong with these cars, I drove one for 5 years as a daily driver with out any major issues. If you want more speed then convert it. It is a lot easier than you think. I have converted many 84-85 into 86-87 setup using the 84-85 long block. We even had an 85 short block, stock cam go 10.60's @126mph and few others in the low 11's. If you want to do that just slowly collect 86-87 parts you need off this board, sometimes people sell them so cheep . If you get the basics parts, then things like turbo, IC and thing you can always buy after market ones.

These cars(84-85) are fast and fun to drive as it is and if don’t care about beating everybody on the street you will be happy with it.
Just my $.02

Prasad

Must be. LOL I just know it's kinda cool when they look in the engine compartment and realize they just been beat by a hot air. I'm not the fastest but I'm having fun.