How much slower were you guys running at BPG in the brutal heat VS ideal conditions??

jay3000

Tirbo NEWBIE
Reason I ask is that I just got my twin turbo Buick 350 back together after some issues with the heads.. The tune should be identical as it was with the only difference being a different intake.

In nice sunny 50* air in the 1/8th I was running 7.8 or so at 90 or so with a few better passes..

At BPG where it was hotter than hell with track temps in the 140s I'm running 8.26 or so at 82 in the 1/4 and a measley 13.10 @ 101.. (my 1st 1/4 mile)

Elevations are the same. 60s are same

Does that seem like a reasonable loss for the temps?? This is a non IC car spraying 40/60 methanol..With 8lbs boost..

Any ideas. The car just felt sluggish..

I ran my car a few weeks before at home when it was about 75 degrees. It trapped at 124+ every run. The air fuel was low 11's on those runs. I did not touch the car and the air fuel went down to low 10s and slowed to 119 just from the conditions. I could have taken fuel out and tried to tune for the conditions but since I was just doing fun runs I didnt feel like messing with my car. I just did 2 runs and called it a day.

Since it takes air and fuel to make horsepower, hot air is less dense than colder air, so less HP.

For years I have seen out of state cars come to our drag strips here in the desert, and complain their times have dropped .2-.3ths. from their normal track.

We not only have dry, hot air, we have 1500" of elevation, and have seen days/night where the density altitude is over 7000', when the cars slow down 1/2 second or more from normal? :eek:

Then you have the carb racers say they have a disadvantage because we have forced induction, and it does not affect us, WRONG.

On a real good weather day here, very rare, I can run a 10.0 at 16 psi, on a normal day, 19-20 psi is needed.

Since it takes air and fuel to make horsepower, hot air is less dense than colder air, so less HP.

For years I have seen out of state cars come to our drag strips here in the desert, and complain their times have dropped .2-.3ths. from their normal track.

We not only have dry, hot air, we have 1500" of elevation, and have seen days/night where the density altitude is over 7000', when the cars slow down 1/2 second or more from normal? :eek:

Then you have the carb racers say they have a disadvantage because we have forced induction, and it does not affect us, WRONG.

On a real good weather day here, very rare, I can run a 10.0 at 16 psi, on a normal day, 19-20 psi is needed.

WOW Nick, that is some bad air...

I was about .4 slower than running in ideal conditions. MPH was down about 5 mph. My 60' times were horrible! I now have 16" GNX wheels with 28x10 M&H drag radials and 60' was 1.8. I used to run 15" wheels with 27x10 MT drag radials and was in the high 1.5's with those. I'm wondering if it was the tires or hot track or both.