How much could I list an 86 GN for?

baller760

Hello,

I live in California but will be relocating to Ireland in the fall to pursue my graduate degree and want to sell my GN. It's a 1986 T-Top GN with 109,000 miles. The only mods are as follows:

17'' Torque Thrust II's
42 lb/hr injectors (b/c two originals went bad)
Ta-60 turbo (Still have original turbo but needs to be restored, blades are all cut up)
Scanmaster
Custom 91 Octane Chip for smoother idle, etc etc. stock boost levels.

Other than that, she's bone stock, except for a fully restored suspension which I did last summer. I'm talking new body mounts all the way around, new shocks, springs, tie rods, etc. I also have the oringinal GN rims on hand in my garage and the original steering wheel. The car's interior is about the best it can be for being so old, and the exterior is nearly flawless with an expensive paint job about 5 years ago. The only flaws on the exterior are a ding in the rear drivers side panel and a couple knicks along the bottom of the doors from rocks flying up during driving. Other than that, you can shave your beard because it's so shiny.

When I originally bought the car it ran horribly but I have fixed it up to where it passes CA smog tests legally, has about 25 psi of oil pressure at idle, brand new timing chain, and almost perfect scanmaster readings. My original intention was to modify and race this car and perhaps do a 4.1 swap but I never got around to it since I was away at college the entire time. Therefore, it literally just sits in the garage and I bought the car with 107,000 miles on it and it only has 109,000 on it today after 5 years of ownership. I've only taken it to the drag strip in stock form one time when I first got the car and ran a 14.0 at 98 mph on stock boost. It's never been beaten on and has always been dearly cared for. I will post pictures later but what do you think I could list it for?

Thank you very much.

Hi Baller 760,
This economy is killing us! I've got a California 87 GN listed on here. I started at $15K which sounds like about where your car should be. I've since dropped to $12,500 and still no action, so it kinda looks like how much patience do you have? Right now its sure a buyer's market. Good luck with your sale and hope this helped, plus ya gotta free bump. LOL, Ron

Yeah it sure is a terrible time to sell right now. I have my stock 86 with lots of options and only 65,000 miles. I started at $14500 which is very fair and I am now at $13000 but I am not going any lower. I have decided that if I can't get 13K than the heck with selling. Its not my problem if the economy is down and it is not yours either. Stick with it and don't give her away too cheap. Maybe in another year or so it will start to come back for us all. I realize you don't have that much time to wait but how about finding some storage for it until you return from your time away? Good luck buddy.

Wrong place to sell.

Yeah it sure is a terrible time to sell right now. I have my stock 86 with lots of options and only 65,000 miles. I started at $14500 which is very fair and I am now at $13000 but I am not going any lower. I have decided that if I can't get 13K than the heck with selling. Its not my problem if the economy is down and it is not yours either. Stick with it and don't give her away too cheap. Maybe in another year or so it will start to come back for us all. I realize you don't have that much time to wait but how about finding some storage for it until you return from your time away? Good luck buddy.

I have to chime in on this, I just went this weekend to a well known auction of antique and classic cars. I watch a undocumented GN with a "29,900" Mile car in, I would rate fair condition, had rust in lower doors etc, and the engine compartment did not represent 29k, not even close, it was also owned by a dealer. Car sold for $17500.00 with buyer fees which are an additional 8%. I learned then that these boards may not be the best venue to sell these cars in. Just my opinion. Good luck. ;)

Wow you might be right on this one. I bet my car is as nice or nicer and I have zero rust! Thanks for the post and your point has been well taken.

Mine also has zero rust and I forgot to mention as part of the suspension restoration it also has brand new brakes on all four corners with new brake lines as well. Obviously I know selling on this board is not the best idea to make some money but I was wondering about a ball-park and I thought $15,000 was about right. It seems it is but it also seems it is very hard to get a bite. As far as the auction goes, it sounds tempting but it also sounds a little dangerous. What if the car only sold for $8,000? I would shoot myself, haha.