How Many STAGE 2 TTA's Out There?

Ed,
Thanks for the pic. Yea I forget the guys name also. Dave Husek and I were just talking about him a few weeks ago. I think he passed away? Bob or Bill? I have the cam specs around here somewhere. He had sold me three of those cams. He built the short block, I forget who did the heads maybe Kenny or Ted Wayman? That car was a fun ride! I have a video of it carrying the front wheels past the 60' mark. The first couple of runs the car would leave the line and head for the right guard rail. I remember putting the car on the trailer. Grump & I crawing under and seeing the torque arm twisted like a pretzel. Modified South Side bars took care of that problem. As for your picture. I don't know how to convert old pics either. So I just take a picture of the picture with my camera then download it.

Grump, I like to think of us as wise old buzzards:biggrin:

Steve K.

Hey Steve, yea the guys name was Bill. I have vids of Joes car making passes at Atco. You may be on the Video :) ..I actually remember the car would not go straight.

I have about 30 hours worth of vids from back in the day when Duttweiler actually came to the east coast to run his Buick. Someday I'm going to convert to DVD.

If you get bored Steve, try and dig up those cam specs for me.

I'm just curious if any of you have one, or know of another Stage 2 TTA? Back in the day I believe there was one advertised in an old ATR parts magazine...

That was Bill Sakes car. He is on this board now - just sold him some TTA valve covers.:biggrin:

Looks like Joe Copson's moving up the food chain !! :eek::cool:

Attachments

• Joe Copsons Camaro.jpg
    Joe Copsons Camaro.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 500
Yup.
Joe don't mess around. As you get older I guess low 8s just don't cut it! You don't know how many passes down the quarter you have left. So you have to do it as fast as possible. The faster you can get down there the more passes you can make.:D

Steve K.

i will get some photos together. i think that was before digital cameras! ATR had it in their last catalog when it was a white car. Hardtop TTA went 9.69 and i kept getting thrown out for no chute! especially Carlsbad, CA with no shut down area! Finally removed powertrain and stage II and installed it all in a red Formula 350 and went 9.69 (exactly!) on the first pass out @ Pomona! Never could run an 8 sec pass. Best was 9.04 @ LACR with twin turbos (20psi) and TH400, Ford 9" and now i'm turning it into a street car. no time or money to go racing at the track. So time to carefully tear up the streets of CA! Licnese plate on both cars has always been INDY V6. Just for a reference point. I'll keep everyone posted. thanks for the interest..Bill

i will get some photos together. i think that was before digital cameras! ATR had it in their last catalog when it was a white car. Hardtop TTA went 9.69 and i kept getting thrown out for no chute! especially Carlsbad, CA with no shut down area! Finally removed powertrain and stage II and installed it all in a red Formula 350 and went 9.69 (exactly!) on the first pass out @ Pomona! Never could run an 8 sec pass. Best was 9.04 @ LACR with twin turbos (20psi) and TH400, Ford 9" and now i'm turning it into a street car. no time or money to go racing at the track. So time to carefully tear up the streets of CA! Licnese plate on both cars has always been INDY V6. Just for a reference point. I'll keep everyone posted. thanks for the interest..Bill

Bill, good to see you around!

My car was in the ATR catalogue as well back then. After Phil and Shirley moved the business to SC they approached me and asked if they could use my car to develop a 3inch downpipe, exhaust, muffler, etc... So, I gave them the car for a month and everything they did I got to keep for free!

I used to look at pics of your car and wish mine was that fast! Looking forward to seeing some pics.

you used to say "what a small world", but now with the internet, we can all stay in touch! thanks for the kind words. do you have or remember the Turbo Magazine article with my car in it? it was around 97 or 98. My copies got burned up in a fire and i dont have a copy. I'd pay for a copy or even a lead to get a copy! I presume your car is that quick by now? if not, good luck. Could also use a lead on one of Phils 3" exhaust..i sold mine and want to reinstall it! I'm having more fun now returning it to street duty. i hope to see some of your stuff, too! Bill

Bill,

You should be able to pick up a copy on ebay. Just download the attachment and at least you'll have an e-copy.

Attachments

• 7.1996.TurboMag.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 186
you used to say "what a small world", but now with the internet, we can all stay in touch! thanks for the kind words. do you have or remember the Turbo Magazine article with my car in it? it was around 97 or 98. My copies got burned up in a fire and i dont have a copy. I'd pay for a copy or even a lead to get a copy! I presume your car is that quick by now? if not, good luck. Could also use a lead on one of Phils 3" exhaust..i sold mine and want to reinstall it! I'm having more fun now returning it to street duty. i hope to see some of your stuff, too! Bill

Bill, this guy is selling a pretty low mile TTA, but he also has a used ATR exhaust he is trying to sell with the car. He may be willing to sell the exhaust seperate from the car.

Here's the link - http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ca...rice-change-19-750-00-cash-wire-transfer.html

I don't have that magazine.

Here's a link to a thread about my car - http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tu...64-getting-stage-2-tta-together-few-pics.html

Its not the same car I had back in the day when I knew Phil and Shirley. I just bought this car in November 2010. Haven't even driven it yet, but hope to soon once the warm weather arrives.

Joe and I had our motors built by the same guy (stage 2 m&a heads..Conley as well), I forget his name but the place was in upstate NY, builds loose motors that sets off the knock sensors..ahhaha and the cam specs were top secret . Strange fellow
The man was Bill Haenelt from Quality Engine in Middletown, NY. He passed away a few years back of cancer. A wealth of knowledge died with him.....

The man was Bill Haenelt from Quality Engine in Middletown, NY. He passed away a few years back of cancer. A wealth of knowledge died with him.....

is that up by Danbury, Ct ?? I believe its the same guy that I remember.. Had a lot of "issues" with BIG $$$$ motors :eek:

Hey Steve,

How the heck are you? Wow.. its been too long. Are you still in S. Jersey? I tried to look you up on facebook a few times with no luck. I hope your health is good. We need to get together. Gimme a hollar sometime.

Blessings,
Joe Copson
267-228-7575

This is the only one I know of. And may have been the one on Yellowbullet. It was originally built and raced by Joe Copson. Sold to Dave Koppel he repainted it. Rebuilt the motor and raced it. Dave sold it to Harry Anderson then he traded it for a killer Lightning.

Steve K.

This car is now in Glendale,Az. I just went through the engine and fixed a number of problems that it had and have had it to the track a few times. This not our racing season so it probably be living in the garage for the next few months.

I'll dig it up and scan it for you. Joe and I had our motors built by the same guy (stage 2 m&a heads..Conley as well), I forget his name but the place was in upstate NY, builds loose motors that sets off the knock sensors..ahhaha and the cam specs were top secret . Strange fellow :rolleyes:

Bob had a mechanic shop in NY, have no idea where he is or what hes doing but he was a good guy and helped me tons back in the 90s.

Hey Pardner! Lawrence is here in the Houston area, I know him his wife and his son If you had work done buy Conley it was by done someone else in the area.

Interesting how the car had the INCORRECT REAR BIRD EMBLEM on it ?

I'm not sure if it will be "Classified" as a stage two but Wayne Cox has been racing his 10 sec ta since new and it has 12k on it now. It has a full cage and mostly bolt ons, until tomorrow when he picks it up. Rated for 9s now, still has stock crank and pistons, everything else is way over done and the builder said its a monster even on slicks. I will get back to you later in the week as test and tune at our local track is wednesday night.

Interesting how the car had the INCORRECT REAR BIRD EMBLEM on it ?

Appears to be the standard GTA bird - I've seen another TTA with the same thing - can't speak for originality of either. Maybe they ran out like the side turbo emblems....quality control..who knows:redface: