How many mounting points should an exhaust have?

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
I recently ran into an issue where I broke the exhaust pipe mounts, allowing the whole exhaust to drop down on to the rear axle. My car did not have the factory exhaust on it when I purchased it. The only mounting points it had were the hangars under the rear seat floor pans and hangers at the frame behind the rear wheels.

When I redid the exhaust, I went from a faux dual exhaust to a single shot. I reused one of the factory hangers under the rear seat floor pan. The end of the exhaust pipe came with an L bracket welded to it to bolt directly to the frame behind the rear wheel.

Recently that L bracket broke and on further inspection, so did the clamp that holds up the exhaust under the rear seat floor pan. When this happened, the whole exhaust dropped down to where it was resting right on the rear axle.

The bracket under the floor pan is one of those $3 swivel style clamps with the holes in them. You can buy them at most any auto parts store.

I'm thinking one of the contributing factors would be that the exhaust needs another mount point. I believe the catalytic converter also had a mount point?Because there's not one there now if there was one.

Has anyone ran into this problem with the 3 inch straight shot exhaust? If so what was your fix?

Whats an exhaust?

Doesnt it end at the downpipe?

Whats a muffler?

Usually Mine is mounted to the factory exhaust hanger off the trans cross member and before the axle at the muffler using the factory hanger location and then the pipe to the frame.

Hope this helps

Definitely need a hanger at the cat. The cat. is the heaviest piece of the exhaust and needs its own hanger. Add one there, and you should be good to go. GBodyParts sells a nice stainless reproduction hanger.

I have a 3.5 THDP and a 3" single shot Exhaust with an Ultraflow Muffler. My exhaust is mounted by the muffler and one by the tailpipe both have custom mounts with the rubber isolators. Local muffler shop did it for me. I sold the Cat hanger from the Transmission did not need it and it would of needed some fab work to make use of it. The part that bolts to the four bolt flange was about an inch and a half away so I opted not to use it. I dont recommend them with Single shots.

I have a 3" THDP with a custom exhaust that starts with an ATR 3" single shot pipe after the cat. I use the stock cat. hanger with no problems. I guess it depends on who's DP and exhaust you run.

Thanks for the responses. I have a straight shot exhaust I bought from Grumpy 4 years ago. I don't know if it's an ATR (doubt it) or who's it is. Also I don't have a cat on my car, just a dump pipe off the THDP.