How many hardtops, t-tops, etc.?

TurboTer

Zap! Commander
Can someone please list the number of Grand Nationals made with hardtops vs. t-tops, moonroofs, etc. in 1982 and 1984-1987? Aren't hardtops rarer in a GN?

Also, on a totally unrelated note, will a Scanmaster 2.1 work on a 1985 Grand National, or are they only good on a 1987/1987 TR (and 1989 TTA)? I ask this because I'll be getting a 1985 GN, and I really don't know much at all about hot air GN's. Aren't the computer chips different too?

Chips are different, Scanmaster should work on all models,GM didn't keep #'s on ttops, moon,hardtop.

I believe that moon roofs are the rarest. I know witht the 87 GN's that the last ones made were all t-top cars. Most of the 87 GN's i see are t-top or hardtop. Moon roofs are rare.

someone correct me if they know different

Scott

Scanmasters will only work on the 86-87 TR's, but you can change your 85 ECM out for an 86-87 ECM. To do this you'll have to change over to an 86-87 MAF and add the MAT sensor. (Casper's makes a wiring kit for this conversion.) This way you can use any of the aftermarket chipmaker's chips and the Scanmaster. Otherwise you could buy a OTC 4000 like the GSCA sells; they work on 84-87 TR's but cost more than the conversion.

Originally posted by turbofrank
GM didn't keep #'s on ttops, moon,hardtop.

That's a shame, I guess I'll never know now. But I must say, it does seem like t-top GN's are more common than hardtops. Or is this because everyone bought the hardtops because t-tops twist and rattle more?

Originally posted by WH1
Scanmasters will only work on the 86-87 TR's, but you can change your 85 ECM out for an 86-87 ECM. To do this you'll have to change over to an 86-87 MAF and add the MAT sensor. (Casper's makes a wiring kit for this conversion.) This way you can use any of the aftermarket chipmaker's chips and the Scanmaster. Otherwise you could buy a OTC 4000 like the GSCA sells; they work on 84-87 TR's but cost more than the conversion.

Hmm, so all I'll need is an 86/86 MAF and MAT sensor, along with the chip and wiring? Not too bad. Does this mean I won't be able to keep my Kenne Belle Ram Air Kit?

You can keep the KB ram air but you'll also need the actual 86-87 ECM for the conversion too. But you can get them off alot of fwd big 86-87 GM's at the junkyard; you'll just need the smaller chip-like thing from GM dealer. I think that's about $15 though. You're better off with this conversion, imo. All of this info is at GNTTYPE.ORG. As far as I know, only PTE offers chips for use with Hotairs.

Originally posted by WH1
You can keep the KB ram air but you'll also need the actual 86-87 ECM for the conversion too. But you can get them off alot of fwd big 86-87 GM's at the junkyard; you'll just need the smaller chip-like thing from GM dealer. I think that's about $15 though. You're better off with this conversion, imo. All of this info is at GNTTYPE.ORG. As far as I know, only PTE offers chips for use with Hotairs.

Thanks for all the info. I still have about a month to go before I get the '85 GN, and I look foward to upgrading it in many ways.

Now, if only someone could answer if there were more GN's with t-tops or more with hardtops..:)