How long will a stock motor idle without oil pressure

TURBOTIMMER

I heard this motor run in a car I bought for parts, but it had been sitting for years. Put it in my wh1, had it running for about 40-50 seconds before I realized I was hearing the lifters over the ATR single shot. Shut the car off, and verified I had no oil pressure. Pump must have lost its prime in the process of the transplant. I'm gonna pull the pump apart tonight and pack with Vaseline. What are the odds I hurt something?

should have primed it..
my guess considering the extended time it sat.. rebuild time

should have primed it..
my guess considering the extended time it sat.. rebuild time

+1 - an easy way to tell though is to run a compression test - pull a valve cover and check for hot spots and scoring of course use your ears as well.

Yup, I should have. The only thing I think could have happened is the pump emptied out when I pulled it out with the trans attached (tilted back).
I'm gonna prime the pump and see what it sounds like.

........ Pump must have lost its prime in the process of the transplant. I'm gonna pull the pump apart tonight and pack with Vaseline. What are the odds I hurt something?

There is a simple way to prime an inter-cooled car with an oil cooler.

Remove the upper line at the radiator and pour oil into it until the line is completely full. Install the line back into the radiator and use a drill to run up oil pressure. after removing the cam sensor.

If you do NOT rotate the engine, re-install the cam sensor in the EXACT position.

Nick, I was wondering if there was a way to prime the pump without tearing it apart. Thanks for the tip, and I will be trying it.

Nick, I took your advice. Worked perfect. Within 2-3 seconds, got oil pressure, put her all back together. Other than a stuck lifter, the motor sounds ok. I'm gonna change the oil and filter again, and hope for the best.

Cut the filter open and check for bearing material. I bet it's ok.