How hard is it to turn my regal into a T

STLbuick

you may have seen my last post about dropping a small block chevy in my 1983 regal coupe but i have a new plan, how hard is it and how much roughly will it cost to turn my regal into TT? i realize a lot of stuff in it is differnt besides the engine and transmission, but what will this require and is it worth it if i cant find a reasonablly prized Turbo in my area?

thanks again

Do a search for this - been covered many times. If you want to go full bore, there is a long list of things to do. You'd be better off finding a turbo Regal and building from there.

Do a search on this. Been done many times over the years. It can be easy, can be hard, depending on your knowledge and your wallet, and what you want the results to look/perform like. If you've got a complete donor turbobuick drive train, then you'r off to a good start. I will repeat (what I believe I may have seen in a reply to your other post, not sure)... Sell your regal, put those funds and save for a actual bona-fide turbobuick. These cars are still plenty available, you may have to travel a state or two to get what you want (not many around here, that I know of for sale). This website, other tb websites, and internet car sale websites can be your best friend for locating one. Contrary to what most of us tb owners want to believe,... these cars really just aren't that rare (yet), still plenty available and in complete stock form. You just don't see that many on the roads anymore is all.

I was told the same thing. You are going to pay up the @ss for a GN or a T-type unless you want a junker or get REALLY REALLY lucky.

I just swapped a 87 GN engine and trans into an 1985 Monte Carlo SS. Not a regal, but they are ALL G-bodies. I did the entire swap in like 2.5 weeks, and that was waiting on some things.

Dont get me wrong, it will cost you some dough, but not so much that you would be better off buyin it.

I did all the work myself though, so if you cant do it yourself and you need to pay someone to do all the work.. you probably ARE better off finding a T-type in good shape somewhere and selling what you have.

If you can wrench on cars and do some basic wiring... you can do it.

Pull the motor, swap out the frame pads, drop it in... hook it all up.
Get a complete engine wiring harness and its makes that whole thing a breeze. And buy a COMPLETE motor from head to toe so you dont have to worry about that crap either. I dropped mine in this way.

I did a front mount intercooler which was kind of a pain in the @ss, because you really have to hack up the front end of your car to get it in there. I used a sawzall and a hammer! Anyway... not bad man.. DO IT!

Contact BW Jones on the boards... see what hes got. I bought my engine from him.. I can send you pics.. its beautiful!

If you want a mint low mile turbobuick, then you'll probably end up paying what its worth. Plenty of decent,stock or mostly stock,mostly solid, high milage t types out there in the $5000- $9000 range. And if you consider that paying out the "@ss", considering what your getting, then you probably may want to think of a differant powerplant. this is just my opinon. but tell you what, I'm just curious here, not being a smarty pants, If you decide to do the transplant, keep a record of every single receipt, no matter how big or small the amount is, including all shipping, and milage and gas that you spend going to get parts. Also include the price of your regal. When you get everything together, and the car running, and your completely happy with it, performance and reliability wise. Add it up and let us know. I just may end up taking back my previous post. :)

If your regal has a 3.8 buick the cheapest easiet swap would be a buick 350 same mounts as the 3.8 buick and trans bolt pattern the 3.8 turbo swap will cost money and lost of time and you have to be somewhat familiar with the wiring you will need to find a complete donor car and swap out everything,gas tank,rear end,transmission,engine,ecu and complete powertrain wiring harness.Your better buying a tr regal or coming up with blow thru carbureted setup.Rhe transplant has been done many times just don't want you to get the wrong idea.I had an 85 regal and did the research on the swap and I figured its too much money and time.

IF you swap the turbo engine and trans into a regal (or a monte) and don't change the rear end, then the rear end will fail, very soon. Unless you have a sick turbo Buick engine. Plus, you need the fuel tank, and some wiring harnesses. Easier to put in a V8.

I finished a 86 Regal Limited swap over the winter. The car came with the 307 Olds engine. This was a nice clean car that I couldn't pass up. I already had a grey limited "pillow back" interior and a complete drivetrain.

The swap is not for the casual weekend wrench. To do it correct, there are many turbo specific parts that need to get changed. Here is a short list:

Inner fenders
HVAC case
engine harness
fuel, vapor and return lines
fuel tank
frame pads for the engine mounts
Steering gear
dash harness
speedo cluster

I removed the entire front clip and lifted the body off the frame to run the fuel and return lines. I used factory repro lines from Inline Tube.

I removed the dash, swapped the dash harness and cluster over to turbo parts.

I definitely did it the hard way, but you'd be hard pressed to find anything that doesn't look like the factory did it. None of the tasks were hard............just lots to do.

Here is a link to some photos of the project:86 Regal Limited pictures from cars photos on webshots

If you want a mint low mile turbobuick, then you'll probably end up paying what its worth. Plenty of decent,stock or mostly stock,mostly solid, high milage t types out there in the $5000- $9000 range. And if you consider that paying out the "@ss", considering what your getting, then you probably may want to think of a differant powerplant. this is just my opinon. but tell you what, I'm just curious here, not being a smarty pants, If you decide to do the transplant, keep a record of every single receipt, no matter how big or small the amount is, including all shipping, and milage and gas that you spend going to get parts. Also include the price of your regal. When you get everything together, and the car running, and your completely happy with it, performance and reliability wise. Add it up and let us know. I just may end up taking back my previous post. :)

Cars done... I drive it. Runs fantastic. Im not saying it was cheap, it wasnt, but is was cheaper to me than buying one. If you can find a nice t-ype for $5K as you mentioned above, then the hell with building yours... go by THAT!

But if its going to cost you $8K-$10K... like they are selling for... then you may want to build.

There is NO doubt as the people said that dropping a small block chevy motor or something in it is easy.. I did that once too. I bought the car ten years ago with the 305 and 2004r. Then swapped in a 400HP 355ci chevy engine and TH400 trans. Now I swapped in an 87 GN motor and trans.

The gn motor and trans make the car just as fast as my small block did, only now its way better on the street, has the ability to go much faster, and get around 20mpg instead of 8-10 from the small block chevy.

All depends on what you want out of the car. I do NOT regret at all doing the swap. The new drivetrain is the way they should have come. Its awesome. Not to mention its a sleeper. Sound stock, but doesnt perform that way!

And things like a gas tank? Big deal. You can get anything and everything you need on these boards. swapping in a gas tank is no big deal at all.

Maybe the difference is what condition your vehicle is in? My monte carlo is in excellent condition, not the normal rust bucket running around. I restored the car 7-8 years ago with my dad. Getting rid of it wasnt an option for me anyway. Too many memories and blood sweat and tears into that car.

Anyway... good luck.
Look around for a nice shape T-type. See how much they cost.
Then make your decision.

As for the small block... up to you. Bad gas mileage, and carbureted performance... but it will work. Depends on how much you plan on driving it.

I finished a 86 Regal Limited swap over the winter. The car came with the 307 Olds engine. This was a nice clean car that I couldn't pass up. I already had a grey limited "pillow back" interior and a complete drivetrain.

The swap is not for the casual weekend wrench. To do it correct, there are many turbo specific parts that need to get changed. Here is a short list:

Inner fenders
HVAC case
engine harness
fuel, vapor and return lines
fuel tank
frame pads for the engine mounts
Steering gear
dash harness
speedo cluster

I removed the entire front clip and lifted the body off the frame to run the fuel and return lines. I used factory repro lines from Inline Tube.

I removed the dash, swapped the dash harness and cluster over to turbo parts.

I definitely did it the hard way, but you'd be hard pressed to find anything that doesn't look like the factory did it. None of the tasks were hard............just lots to do.

Here is a link to some photos of the project:86 Regal Limited pictures from cars photos on webshots

All that wasnt necessary UNLESS your goal is a clone.
Thats what you built. A clone. Nice work BTW.

If you are thinking of doing a clone... then you ARE better off buying one!

Drivetrain swap is not that bad.