How do you remove bolt in lower control arm?

GNRick

Retired member
My friend Stanley (who is an experienced mechanic, unlike me) and I spent the last 3.5 hours trying to remove the rear bolt in each of the front lower control arms in my 87 GN. I wanted to replace the bushings but now I am regretting it. We tried everything we can think of, included fabbing a spreader (like a steering wheel puller-tighten the nut and the bolt should push out) with no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Depending on the location of your car and its enviroment, I have had to cut some out because the portion of the bolt that remains hidden within the control arm and the bushing sometimes rust and almost weld themselves inside.

Nearly impossible to remove.

Please tell me you have the spring out! :eek:
Yes the spring is out! The passenger side spring had a piece broken off:eek:

Depending on the location of your car and its enviroment, I have had to cut some out because the portion of the bolt that remains hidden within the control arm and the bushing sometimes rust and almost weld themselves inside.

Nearly impossible to remove.

I am in Illinois. Car came from St. Louis. Much ice, snow, salt, you name it! Would a sawzall go right through the bushing, sleeve inside the bushing, and the bolt? The damn thing is definitely welded together. Thanks.

Sawzall, with lots of blades. I see you already have aftermarket rear control arms. Have they been in place for a long time? I'm not familiar with the brand, but maybe the bolts were just plated and have since rusted.

A punch and hammer should work. Hammer the bolt flush to the bushing and drive it through with the punch.

A Sawzall will work, just takes some time and more then a few blades. Get the blade between the frame and the bushing and only cut the bolt. Use oil and a slower speed. Too fast and it just rips the teeth off the blade. Get the best blades that you can (can you tell I've had to do this :().

Try to keep the blade toward the bushing. This is to prevent cutting into the frame. Can wedge a chisel or larger screwdriver between the frame and A-arm to give more room.

What causes this is that the bolt rusts itself into the bushing sleeve. Basically welding the two together. Sometimes a BIG hammer on the bolt will loosen it up. Otherwise it's cutting time.

RemoveBeforeFlight

A punch and hammer should work. Hammer the bolt flush to the bushing and drive it through with the punch.
We tried this. The bolt won't budge.

A Sawzall will work, just takes some time and more then a few blades. Get the blade between the frame and the bushing and only cut the bolt. Use oil and a slower speed. Too fast and it just rips the teeth off the blade. Get the best blades that you can (can you tell I've had to do this :().

Try to keep the blade toward the bushing. This is to prevent cutting into the frame. Can wedge a chisel or larger screwdriver between the frame and A-arm to give more room.

What causes this is that the bolt rusts itself into the bushing sleeve. Basically welding the two together. Sometimes a BIG hammer on the bolt will loosen it up. Otherwise it's cutting time.

RemoveBeforeFlight

The BIG hammer didn't work. Thanks for the tips. I'll report back.

I like PB Blaster penetrating spray. Let it soak a while.
Hit with an air hammer w/flat punch amd knock those rust scales off.
Drive bolt through with punch.
I don't know how you guys put up with rust on cars.:frown:

I like PB Blaster penetrating spray. Let it soak a while.
Hit with an air hammer w/flat punch amd knock those rust scales off.
Drive bolt through with punch.
I don't know how you guys put up with rust on cars.:frown:

We're doing it in my driveway with car on jack stands and us on our backs. A neighbor has a big air tank. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Use an impact gun set on the highest setting on the bolt head and see if the gun can break it from the sleeve. You might need a swivel union to get in there but it will.

nothing short of torching it worked for me. tried bfh bigger fh press...u name it....wasn't fun but its done now.

I worked on it again tonight. First I cut away the rubber bushing to reveal my adversary...the shaft that welded itself to the bolt. I tried holding it with a locking pliers while turning the screw but that didn't work. Sawzall worked but it was slow. I used a Black and Decker grinder with a cutting wheel. Went right through the shaft and bolt. Yep! That's the ticket! Then I used my home made press tool to press in the pointy side of the screw (opposite the side with the head). Darn control arm is still stuck on there but one hard hit from behind with the bfh should knock it out. Will do it tomorrow on my day off. O'reilly will have my new springs in tomorrow too. I'll also Por-15 everything. I can't wait for this nightmare to end.

I got some upper and lower control arms and had them bead blasted . I pressed the bushings out and reinstalled the new bushings. I had all new suspension parts put in. I was an extremely long 12 plus hours but it was worth it...now. if you asked me that day I would have sold you my car for 20 bucks! if you have patience which you obviously have at this point it'll be worth it.

I worked on it again tonight. First I cut away the rubber bushing to reveal my adversary...the shaft that welded itself to the bolt. I tried holding it with a locking pliers while turning the screw but that didn't work. Sawzall worked but it was slow. I used a Black and Decker grinder with a cutting wheel. Went right through the shaft and bolt. Yep! That's the ticket! Then I used my home made press tool to press in the pointy side of the screw (opposite the side with the head). Darn control arm is still stuck on there but one hard hit from behind with the bfh should knock it out. Will do it tomorrow on my day off. O'reilly will have my new springs in tomorrow too. I'll also Por-15 everything. I can't wait for this nightmare to end.

I gave it a few good wacks with the bfh and the control arm fell off. Now I'm working on the rear bolt on the lower arm on the passenger side. I immediately went for the grinder and ground through the shaft/bolt combo. The control arm is just dangling there right now and I took a break.