how do i tell if its a turbo motor

mat231v6

painter
how can i tell if a motor is a turbo motor does it have the turbo 6 on the side of the block and how do i tell if its a stage I motor. does the block number help the number is 25526109.

The # that you have posted is a factory turbo block number.
Stage 1's and stage 2's will have the 6 emblem on the side of the blocks
Most all stage 1's will not have 4 bolt mains.
Stage 2's ( well 90% of them ) will have 4 bolt mains on at least the 2 center mains.

HTH

Puddin

how can i tell if a motor is a turbo motor does it have the turbo 6 on the side of the block and how do i tell if its a stage I motor. does the block number help the number is 25526109.

Does it have the 1/2" NPT tapped hole in the front of the block just down from the top of the intake rail.... for the oil to drain back into the engine from the turbo......

There will either be a tapped hole there.... or a boss where the tapped hole should be...

no hole... it is a N/A motor (no turbo) ..... doesn't mean it isn't any good.... just means it didn't come in a turbo car....

my 84 spun a cam bearing, is the 84 a special block or can I just get a std. block and put my guts in it?

my 84 spun a cam bearing, is the 84 a special block or can I just get a std. block and put my guts in it?

IMHO, you need to find a '86 or '87 109 block. They are supposed to be the strongest of the stock blocks. The turbo 109's have a hole drilled for the turbo return line in the front of the block just below the intake rail. The naturally aspirated (non turbo) 109 blocks are easier to find in the boneyard... and are just as strong. They don't have this hole drilled for the oil drainback. I am not familiar where your stock oil drain line is anyway... on an '84. There is a boss there where the hole is supposed to be.... you can easily drill it out and tap it for the drain line.

Look for one of these... you'll be fine.

FWIW .... I am building a N/A 109 block up for my '87GN right now. I found a whole engine in the junkyard for $50. Happy hunting.

Oh... the cranks are marginally different from n/a to turbo..... I've seen quite a few people that say the n/a cranks are fine.... run them. I really wouldn't be concerned unless you were low 11's or faster.... and I might still not be concerned with the n/a crank....

Rods will be the same..... pistons are not..... the turbo pistons are reinforced in the inside..... some folks will tell you those n/a pistons will be fine for a stock rebuild.

HTH

yea my turbo drains back into the intake, so block want make a diff. didnt know if it was a stronger block or not, but im not doing much to the motor, maybe just a cam already have a water cooled turbo.