How do I remove window trim pieces?

Pablo

The metal trim that is around the front and rear windows needs to come out as I am prepping the car for paint. I don't want to break them. What is the proper method of removal?

Go to a good auto parts store. They usually sell the release tool. It looks like a flat blade w/ a hook on the ends.
You slide the blade under the trim, and it will release the plastic clips. The tool is a double edged deal, so it can be used from either side of the car. Plan on new clips, as they tend to break easily.
Use care on the trim, as it has a thin plastic "wiper" in it. The wiper is a seal that keeps $hit out from under the trim.
The clips are held on the body by small studs, welded on w/ a stud welder. If any are broken, the body/paint shop can weld on new ones, BEFORE they do the paint work.
Also, take the 1/4 glass out. It comes out in ONE piece, and is held in from the back side w/ speed nuts, and allot of goo sealer.

as Chuck said plan on replacing the clips...they are brittle after 20 years....local auto Body Supply should be able to get them for you....Also if you break any of the studs off antoher alternative is Marson makes a nosepiece for a rivet gun and they also make replacement rivets that leave the head out enough to secure the clip....only drawback os you need to seal the hole/rivet to prevent water leaks...I use window urethane

You guys rock

I've seen the very tool you describe, didn't know what it was at the time.

I hope I dont break a clip. But I'm ready for it. Thanks.

Might even try heating them just a little with a hairdryer. This may give them a little more pliability during removal.

is the glue really strong? Will I need piano wire? Or will it just pull out with enough prying?

Like John said, warm them a bit, and GENTLY apply pressure. The glue is actually not glue, but a tar like sealer. It'll stretch and look like bubblegum on a hot sidewalk!
I wear latex, painters gloves when I do that job.
The trim is part of the window assy. DO NOT attempt to remove it from the rubber. Clean the assy w/ wax/grease remover, tape it off, scotchbrite the trim, and paint it.
I use Landau black for that. I strip and powdercoat the rest of the window trim, low gloss black.

Just my $.02...

I used a knife to cut the adheasive (tar) that holds the windshield from both the inside and outside. A piano or guitar string will work also. Just be careful when applying pressure to push the glass out so that it doesn't flex and crack.

should be no glue holding trim in.....front or rear...if it was me do not remove the glass.....for painting.....unless you are replacing it....and then have a pro do it....that way if they break it..they replace it....

are you talking about the small side windows?

I have been kind of back and forth on that. I was contemplating putting a string under the edges of the rubber seal to bring it up off the body so paint can get under there.

I just got the trim tool and will be removing that now.

are you talking about the small side windows?

I have been kind of back and forth on that. I was contemplating putting a string under the edges of the rubber seal to bring it up off the body so paint can get under there.

I just got the trim tool and will be removing that now.

The rear quarter glass and trim are molded together and are bolted to the window from the inside... Rear seat, front seat shoulder harness and the side panels must be removed to get to the bolts.... kind of a PITA, but well worth the end result.

Though the trim and 1/4 glass are molded from the factory, they can be separated if you are careful.

I'll try to dismember one and document the steps.

I wasnt gonna try and remove the seal, just wedge a piece of string under it so it is off the car. I suppose removing the seal is another option but I have a feeling that would screw it up. I have every last piece of trim, removable panel, mirrors, locks.. etc off the car. These side windows are the only thing left.

I wasnt gonna try and remove the seal, just wedge a piece of string under it so it is off the car. I suppose removing the seal is another option but I have a feeling that would screw it up. I have every last piece of trim, removable panel, mirrors, locks.. etc off the car. These side windows are the only thing left.

Take off the nuts holding the studs to the window frame and gently push outward... the window and the trim will push out slowly.... if its really cold you may need to heat it up a bit (hair dryer/heat gun)

The biggest PITA with this is cleaning up all the adhesive as it gets thin and wispy like stands of hair, and it gets all over everything.

as stated on side windows...do one at a time....use a heat gun...or blow dryer to loosen up the sealant and push window out from the inside...do not pry it out....evenpresure for extended period ot time...it like bubble gum........remove them...cause the lifting tape does not work very well...and sometimes the hard rubber will stay up and is a pia to get flat again....side windows are easy to remove...just take your time...

The biggest PITA with this is cleaning up all the adhesive as it gets thin and wispy like stands of hair, and it gets all over everything.

This is true... When you get the adheasive on the glass, the car or your hands, just take a ball of the rolled up adheasive and press it against the surface and it will pick up the strands. It's alot easier than using a thinner or something else to clean up.

This is true... When you get the adheasive on the glass, the car or your hands, just take a ball of the rolled up adheasive and press it against the surface and it will pick up the strands. It's alot easier than using a thinner or something else to clean up.

Tru-dat!

kinda like rolling up wadded bubble gum... Oh... one more thing.... wear gloves.... or your hands will be black when youre done...