How can you tell a ZQ8 hub is bad

SmooveG

Finally getting around to installing the 11 inch brake upgrade and all I hear is how bad the hubs are. Is there a way to tell if mine are good before I finish assembly?

SmooveG said:
Finally getting around to installing the 11 inch brake upgrade and all I hear is how bad the hubs are. Is there a way to tell if mine are good before I finish assembly?

I hear a squeak from mine now, but I guess that doesn't help. I have read from other guys on a Blazer forum I frequent that they can pull thier wheel in and out when the truck is jacked up.

Personally, if you have the cash, there is no good reason not to change them now, just to be on the safe side. I have heard about people having problems after 50,000 miles, most are around 70,000-80,000 miles.
As far as the least expensive replacements, AutoZone has a Timken replacements for $200 a side. Hell of alot better deal than the $400 and up Chevy is charging for stock replacements, and the Timkens have been reported to having around 75,000 miles without any signs of wear.

A way to check them while they are off the vehicle is to grab the flange and feel for any play, souldn't be any. Also grab the flange again and spin it back and forth putting some pressure on it. It should feel smooth as you do this, if you feel any roughness or catching then theres a good possibility it's bad. Or the other option is to install it and drive it and listen for a humming noise.. Kind of sounds like an old by plane, or they will make a terrible grinding noise too.