Hotair to Intercooled Conversion questions?!

That's an awesome idea WFO...

Never thought of putting it back in right there. I would think you could make some kind of lip inside that could possibly take the oil over to the chain/cam sensor gear too. Probably not, but just had to brainstorm out loud for a second.

Cool idea, good pics.

Jerry jr.

Never thought of putting it back in right there. I would think you could make some kind of lip inside that could possibly take the oil over to the chain/cam sensor gear too. Probably not, but just had to brainstorm out loud for a second.

Cool idea, good pics.

Jerry jr.

If a guy had some sheetmetal and some patience he could prolly pull that off. You can see the timing gear thru the open hole.

Everyone I talk to suggests drilling/tapping the block for a 1/2" npt in the same location where the 86/7 drain is. Supposedly easier than it sounds, and I'm about to find out -- I'm currently undergoing this same project myself. I can share notes & photos along the way.

I have heard , but cannot prove , that a return to oil pan is the best way , simply because you are not draining the super heated oil from the turbo back on to the cam bearings. Made enough sense to me to decide not to tap the block.

all of our turbo cars have involved putting the oil back to the pan. this allows it to mix with the "good" oil and cool off before recirculating through the engine. i'd imagine that's what we'd all want.

i plan on doing this to my car very soon. well. as soon as i find a shipper willing to bring the car to CA.

anyway.. is there a thread that has a how-to on tossing an intercooler onto an HA car? if i can find how to do that, i may be able to delay my '87 change over. i REALLY just want the FMIC.

all of our turbo cars have involved putting the oil back to the pan. this allows it to mix with the "good" oil and cool off before recirculating through the engine. i'd imagine that's what we'd all want.

i plan on doing this to my car very soon. well. as soon as i find a shipper willing to bring the car to CA.

anyway.. is there a thread that has a how-to on tossing an intercooler onto an HA car? if i can find how to do that, i may be able to delay my '87 change over. i REALLY just want the FMIC.

I had a frontmount on my hotair for years,went 12.0 at 114-115mph with it.

If I was gonna start from scratch I'd skip the intercooler and run progressive methanol injection. On a hotair I'd run a nozzle in the intake and a smaller one pre-turbo.:cool:

I had a frontmount on my hotair for years,went 12.0 at 114-115mph with it.

If I was gonna start from scratch I'd skip the intercooler and run progressive methanol injection. On a hotair I'd run a nozzle in the intake and a smaller one pre-turbo.:cool:

i've been looking into that option. i'd REALLY prefer to NOT go with meth, as i've had two cars die from it.
one developed a leak in the reservoir. i ran out, went lean, and broke ring lands. with the other car, there was no real way to get the same amount to all cylinders. while the tune looked good and all parameters checked out, one cylinder was getting a bit less. boom. done.
i prefer running a front mount. i'd rather have less power and a FMIC than more power with meth. that's fine with me.
any chance you could PM me with how you did the front mount? i have a basic idea (clock turbo, fabricate tubing, etc) but could use some pointers. i found many, many FMIC kits, but all for the 86'-87 cars. yet another reason i plan to convert. bleh.

Intercooling conversion

You can convert a "Hot-Air" car to intercooled... it will require longer piping, adapter to intake (or welding a nipple to the intake), reclocking the turbo, and long pieces of pipe to connect... I suggest relocating the throttle body for "blow thru"...

It is far easier to go the route I used... an '87 motor, S-10 manual steering, White Racing Alternator relocator ('87 alternator), '87 exhaust, aftermarket down pipe... and a front mount Jack Cotton intercooler (pricey).

You can cut costs... ebay offers intercoolers... you can string a couple of them together if you want to be creative. As long as you use 2 1/2" to 3" pipe and connections you will not have restrictions.

Others have produced several variations of this effort...:D

Always willing to offer suggestions...:biggrin:

I'm having trouble finding a way to attach an air intake to the inlet of the turbo since I am no longer running it to the throttle body..so I guess I need to get creative.

You can convert a "Hot-Air" car to intercooled... it will require longer piping, adapter to intake (or welding a nipple to the intake), reclocking the turbo, and long pieces of pipe to connect... I suggest relocating the throttle body for "blow thru"...

It is far easier to go the route I used... an '87 motor, S-10 manual steering, White Racing Alternator relocator ('87 alternator), '87 exhaust, aftermarket down pipe... and a front mount Jack Cotton intercooler (pricey).

You can cut costs... ebay offers intercoolers... you can string a couple of them together if you want to be creative. As long as you use 2 1/2" to 3" pipe and connections you will not have restrictions.

Intercooling conversion

What about taking the entire top half of a 86-87 and installing it on an 85 block? Would that work?