Hot Rod & Car craft coverage

Little6pack

This may pertian the the older folks but does anyone remember the segments these magazines ran from 1970 to early 80's about your local street action?

I remember the BIG buzz when one of these magazines annouced it was coming to BROCKTON mass in 1981.
IT WAS UTTER KAOS & MAYHEM in the streets.
Cars from all over came out in hoping to get featured.

It looked like a sight from American Graffiti with a bit more modern cars cruising everyplace hoping to get picked.

A Makeshift burnout area was on one of the streets near the center of town. Cops were great they allowed every car to SMOKE the hides.. & the shiztboxes that couldn't lay rubber had folks going over & lift the bumpers until the tires got spinning.
WHAT A NIGHT!

Did this happen when they came to your area???

Sounds just like the Hot Rod Powertour to me! Though the smoky burnouts have been cut down some, you never know when an imprompto contest will start. You should see the small towns the tour rolls through. Last year in Missouri small towns had grandstands of people waiting for the tour to roll through.

James

James to me it seems like the good folks in the midwest enjoy cars more than other parts of the country.

Up here in NE it is more like CLOSET car lovers. They rarely come out or get together. That is why the power tour will never come anyplace close to new england.

littlesixsteve,
You should check out the Summer Nationals in Worcester MA. I believe its 4th of July weekend, they have burnout contests and a HUGE car show.

Matt