Hot Air

maliblu

I have heard from a few people that it is hard to make 300-350 hp with a non-intercooled T-Type. Is this true? Has anyone took there mildly modified non-intercooled car and added a intercooler and seen huge gains in either hp numbers or time slip numbers?
any info will help? Also will 86-87 intake manifold, intercooler and turbo. work on 84 block? thanks for your help.

im shure plenty of people have made that much power dont think its that difficult , alot of people dont now much about hot air cars,
when i bought my car my neighbor told me i made a mistake and would regret buying the car when i found out how hard it was to make them fast ????

It has been done before- research this website as well as gnttype.or

It is not cost effective to try an convert an 84/85 GN into the 86-87 setup. The engine block and heads are interchangeble. Everything else is different.

I would recommend that you acquire an 86-87 engine, wireing harness, computer, and every bracket on the engine as well as the cooling fan, duct work, front end spoiler, and intercooler.

It will not be cheap either. Good Luck Brad

85Gn

wanna make those numbers quick and cheap.... nitrous... NOS pro spsportsman fogger set up... 150 shot ... switch to 86 87 ecm get a chip burnt for nitrous, 18 lbs boost and 42 lb injectors... turn your boost up to 18 lbs.. run race gas and a denso o2 sensor should be close to 300 rwhp or better..

there you go..

what do you mean when you say injectors, i think the 83/84 only comes with a carburator?

please let me know, i am thinking of buying a 83 hot air for $1500.

thank you

INJECTORS

I have an 84 and it is fuel injected. I believe 84 was the first year for fuel injection.

Anyone know of any after market intake manifold, for hot air cars, that faces the front of the vehicle?

maliblu please use the search function. There is a post on the main page about new hotair intakes underway.

You can make those #s pretty easy. An intercooler on a stock hotair is supposed to be worth a 20% increase in power. I have no dyno #s but I can tell you the seat of the pants increase was dramatic, especially at high boost. I went with the Spearco intercooler first and then the powerstroke intercooler later on and am very happy with the decision.

The runners on the intake manifold need to be opened up and I doubt the stock turbo will take you to 350rwhp. The stock downpipe is crap as is the passenger header. Get those restrictions out of the way and you should run about the same as an 86-87 car with the same mods.

P/S I/C

the power stroke intercooler. Do you mean from a Ford truck? will any other intercooler work chevy or dodge truck? you have to cut the radiator support to fit that I/C right?

Any good turbo recommendations?

I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but all that you are asking can easily be found using the search feature of the forum.

Not only is it easy, but it's generally faster, you get a wider range of opinions and so on.

Yes, the powerstroke IC is from the 99+ Ford Powerstroke if I'm not mistaken. You'll have to modify the rad support a bit or the intercooler.

Recommending a turbo is very difficult without knowing your combo, plans, and goals.

True, a lot of this info is asked once a week and could be found with the search feature.

The Powerstroke intercooler IMO is the best out there. It has been found to perform as good or better than the best aftermarket intercoolers out there. Where it really shines is coolant temps don't raise. It is so big, the end tanks don't block the radiator and it's only 2" thick with a relatively low fin count which lets air pass through easily. You have to do some cutting. I had no problem since my car has 250,000 miles and is far from perfect. You can't see the cutting with it installed but I wouldn't do it to a good condition low mileage car. Price is $270 new and even cheaper on E-bay.

As for a turbo, go with at least a 49. It spools very close to stock and it flows twice what the stocker flows. I've run the 49, 62, and 64. There's not a ton of difference at pump gas boost levels though it is noticable. The big turbos really come alive at higher boost levels but your tune and combo becomes much more critical. The 62 was miserable on the street because my car ran too rich on the bottom end and I had too low of a stall. Once I fixed the problems it spooled pretty good. The 49 spooled great no matter how out of tune the car was.