hot air vs intercooled ?

Jamie R.

What is different over than not having a intercooler about the hot air cars? Could somebody just install a intercooler on a hot air and then basically have a car like the '86/'87's or is the engine different? I have been thinking about getting a turbo buick and was cuirous about the differences between the intercooled and hot air cars. Thanks for any info.

Jamie R.

What is different over than not having a intercooler about the hot air cars? Could somebody just install a intercooler on a hot air and then basically have a car like the '86/'87's or is the engine different? I have been thinking about getting a turbo buick and was cuirous about the differences between the intercooled and hot air cars. Thanks for any info.

Jamie R.

Jamie,
The differences between the HA and the IC'd cars are actually "many".
For starters (depending on the year);
Block, cam, oil pan, push-rods, head gaskets, head bolts, PS header and X-over, turbo, Throttle Body, wiring, some sensors, some relays, brackets, vacuum lines, fuel pump harness, transmission, radiator, ECM, etc etc.

Here are a few posts I found in the archives;.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/hot-air-non-intercooled-tech/127903-hot-air-vs-intercooled.html
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ho...ence-between-intercooled-non-intercooled.html

Can you add an IC to a HA?
Sure, many have done this, BUT, ………. Depending on your goal, budget and ability to do the work/fabricate, I would just start with an IC'd car.

If you already have the car, I would either sell it and purchase a IC'd car, or, leave it in HA form (Pending your performance goal)
A full IC'd conversion is not as cheap as it sounds, unless you do all the work, etc.

Hope this helps. :cool:

functionally, the long block is the same- its just the intake and exhaust that's different. things like the accessory drive setup, better radiator with oil cooler and electric cooling fan are just things that got upgraded to overcome the shortcomings of the earlier parts and make room for the intercooler setup and the different turbo location.

Thanks for the reply's!! So is there and intake that could be put on a '84-'85 car?

Jamie R.

hey, I thought the same thing because of postons too. Fortunatly, mr Micale proved me wrong

Jerryl: I always thought the cam was the same and I couldn't fit a stock 85 crossover on my 87 GN. Jamie:I would personally buy headers, a TA-49 reclock it to fit the hotair intake, upgrade the fuel pump, regulator and injectors. Find a dual electric fan off an F-Body or late model Dodge. Swap the ecm to 86/87, swap to a turbtweak chip and get a used directscan to tune. Add an alky kit and find a knowledgable shop or person to fine tune it. This would defintiely get you high tweves/thirteen flat with some good tires. Buy most everything used and you could do all this way cheaper and less time consuming than finding, buying and dismantling/reconfiguring to an intercooled setup. Hope this helps as I've had both and have a friend who has an 11 second HotAir.

Jerryl: I always thought the cam was the same and I couldn't fit a stock 85 crossover on my 87 GN. .........

Yeah, went back to read, and you are correct.
Cam is the same. :frown:
Now I need to go put all this added knowledge to work ...... :cool:
Thanks for straightening me out. Did not realize someone would actually read my post! :eek:

Just so you know you can't use a turbo from an intercooled car on a hot air without having the dynamic seal put in it. The hot air set up is different and will suck the seal out of an intercooled turbo.

There are differences but you can have fun in an nonintercooled Buick.

Jamie, you're right about the dynamic seal which is why I said TA-49. This is usually a cheaper, more abundant turbo versus the TA-33. We were going to put a TA-51 on my friend's 85 T-Type and John Craig told me it wouldn't work so I swapped him my TA-60 which did work. It did rub the hood pad though.

Cam is the same But
The front and rear cam bearings on the 84 block are smaller O.D. dia. than the 86/87.
When you use the 87's the cam would not fit through the front bearing
Ask me how I know:tongue:
I still have my converted 84 motor it's my spare:cool: