hot air turbo

hamer

I think my turbo is crappin out. In park at idle. when it give it a little gas it sounds like a "clickin" noise. its real hard to hear it over my exhaust leak:( , but one it gets goin it almost sounds like somthin hittin, like the wheel hittin the housing or... i dunno? maybe a shot bearing, but as rpm's go up the clickin gets faster. But at idle its bearly noticleable...ANYWAY my question is should I:
A. buy a rebuild kit for my stock turbo. where do I get one?
B. buy a good used stock turbo
C. buy a used 86-87 turbo
1. will an 86-87 turbo bolt right up or need mos done?
2. if yes on mods what needs to be done?
what would be the smartest thing to do? Need some opinions. thanks

ok i did a little research and ended up at Majestic Turbochargers of Dallas. In their troubleshooting sec. it says that excessive turbo noise can be caused by:
1. air cleaner element missing. OK
2. internal damage. ?? dunno
3. obstructed air intake duct to comp. housing. ok
4. obstructed air outlet duct to intake manifold. ??
5. obstructed intake manifold. ??
6. Air leak in duct from air cleaner to comp. YES (noticed after post in the accordian section of inlet hose)
7. air leak in duct from comp.to intake man. dont think so
8. air leak at intake man to engine joint. dont think so.
SO my next question is how true is this? I noticed the "slits" in the hose last night after I posted. I dont see how that would make "excessive noise" in the turbo. I guess i find a new one and try it FIRST. probly the cheapest way to go and now I know I need a new one anyway.;)

You could have John Craig rebuild yours to an upgrade ta-33. It will move about twice as much air. It would be about $700 to $800. I like mine. Since I'm now rebuilding my 87, I would probably sell one of my turbos for my 84. I have a stock one that I bought from a friend after he switched to an 87 drivetrain. He said it had less than 200 miles. I'd sell it for $250. I might sell the ta-33, it would take $500.
If you are trying to go faster you should probably upgrade. Some other guys can tell you about using an 87. I think there is a little work involved in that.
Good luck.