Hot Air to 86/87 Swap

ssgtgoodwrench

Hello All
I am new to the form and new to Turbo Buicks. I am more of a Chevy Small block guy but have always wanted a grand national. Well earlier this year i finally broke down and bought my self a very very clean 1985 Buick Grand National. After doing research i know everyone says if you want great performance your better off either buying a 86/87 car or getting a donor car. So i went out and found myself a 1987 Buick Regal Limited. This car is horrible. The interior is ugly as sin. The outside is all beat up but it has the the Turbo motor and the actually motor and frame are in great shape. Now i have tried doing as much research and possible but i have a questions. What are the differences between the actual engines. The reason i ask the guy i bought my 85 GN from just had the motor rebuilt 5k miles ago. I have no idea if the motor in the 87 has ever been rebuilt. I read on a post that the head bolts were different. Something along the lines of the length of them. Besides that are the heads and block the same. Same cam profile, etc. I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thank

Kevin

The heads from 1984-87 are the same, and the block has a different deck height and oil pan, but will work fine in your conversion.

The 1985 block can be drilled and tapped for the turbo oil drain about where it is located on the later block, or you can run the turbo drain line to the oil pan.

The cam is a little different, but will work fine for the conversion, and of course the 1987 intake will fit.

Thank you for the info nick. Huge help. One last question. What about the transmissions? Any major differences.

You will need the trans TV cable from the 1987 car, and the fill tube/dipstick will also fit better with the 1987 one.