Hot air timing

hoottrod3

Can someone tell me how much time I can run with hot air

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That's a loaded question, every car is different.. you got to find what your car likes

Brent is correct, this is a loaded question. Hot Airs really do not like alot of timing. 20 degrees is about as much as most will tolerate. But each car is different. 86-87 car are really aggressive in their timing (20-25 degrees). Hot Air configuration can tolerate more than 18-20. Caspers thumb wheel and Max Effort chips for 84-85 were capable of running more than 22-24. They did not run it long as they dropped time down to 20 or less quickly. Get with Eric at TT and he can help you with timing.

Last edited:
I bought a 5.7 chip from some one and it was set at 18 degrees at 18 lbs boost I've updated the coil and module fuel pump and wiring and ecm and up pipe and plan on running nitrous to cool the are at most 75 shot strictly to cool the air and it will be a wet kit

I bought a 5.7 chip from some one and it was set at 18 degrees at 18 lbs boost I've updated the coil and module fuel pump and wiring and ecm and up pipe and plan on running nitrous to cool the are at most 75 shot strictly to cool the air and it will be a wet kit

18 degrees is fine, however a 75 hp shot is worth 120-125hp on a Hot Air. And also 18lbs now are 20-21lbs. You are going to have to really know what you are doing! I would advise to lower the boost to 16lbs and the NOS to a 50hp (worth about 80hp). I would adjust the fuel pressure to 43, you are looking for 63 lbs of fuel pressure at WOT. If it is less, lower boost, and add fuel pressure until you can get 63lbs. It is better to have MORE fuel than less. Once you have learned how your car runs on NOS, the 75hp will be easier. I also would recommend getting a ZEX or a Nitrous Express Kit with Fuel management control. This Management unit works off of your TPS sensor. The TPS tell the NOS when to fire at WOT. It also monitors bottle pressure.

http://www.jegs.com/i/ZEX+Nitrous/243/82218/10002/-1