Hot air 85 engine for the Olds 442

EasyToBeDead

I just picked this up for 300 and i have a few noob questions One I thought hot air turbos don't have a oil line running to it because this one does and it looks to be coming from a T on the lower part of the motor also question 2 does any one have good photos on how this engine is set u because it looks like I'm missing a bracket or 3 here haha. Question number 3 I would like to intercool this engine and to my understanding all that is at this point is custom pipping and intercooler and a new intake from a 87 GN ? And last question (4) can I get a intake off any other 3.8 or series 2 engines or does it have to be the 87 GN ? Thanks for your help in advance

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 209
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 207
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 252
The line from the t is a an oil feed. All turbos have this line no matter the year or make for that matter. Gotta keep that turbo lubed up.

There are a few threads on here that guys have intercooled a hot air. It's fairly involved but can be done.

I don't want scare you off but before you start you want to make sure you have all the parts required. I thought swapping my carb turbo to a hot air would be a quick swap and I am still slowly plugging away at it. You will need:

-Baffled fuel tank
-Return fuel line. ( my car randomly had one and I don't know why as it was a carbed car)
-Rear harness (not necessary if you run a fuel pump hot wire kit)
-Harness and ecm
-Dash harness (not necessary if you have a ecm in your car now but much simpler. I repinned the C437 connector to work)
-Ensure you have a speed sensor behind your speedo (if you have a computer controlled carb you will have one)
-Fuse panel (not necessary but simpler and cleaner. I added a little aux panel to handle 3 new circuits)

That's it providing you have all the goodies on the motor like the cam sensor, crank sensor, and igntion module/coil pack.

Check out the hybrid section. There are guys on there that have swapped 3.8 in cutlass and El Camino.

image.jpeg Hopefully this helps as far as inter cooling there's a few guys that have done custom set ups. Search for a thread called "Going intercooled" you should find lots of info. Btw, is this motor is going in a GN/TR or what???

View attachment 279724 Hopefully this helps as far as inter cooling there's a few guys that have done custom set ups. Search for a thread called "Going intercooled" you should find lots of info. Btw, is this motor is going in a GN/TR or what???

this is going in my 85 olds 442,Also thanks blacknight80 for th info, this will be my first turbo anything so this will be a learning experience for me.

No problem. This is my first kick at the cat as well. It's a different ball of wax than anything I've worked on but the guys on the forum are great source of info. Gnttype.org has alot of info on it aswell but sounds like they are fine tuning it right now so the site is down. Just remember when you get frustrated don't listen to your buddies when they say just drop a sbc in it. Lol. I had a guy say that to me the other night. I just looked at him and said it's a buick.....

No problem. This is my first kick at the cat as well. It's a different ball of wax than anything I've worked on but the guys on the forum are great source of info. Gnttype.org has alot of info on it aswell but sounds like they are fine tuning it right now so the site is down. Just remember when you get frustrated don't listen to your buddies when they say just drop a sbc in it. Lol. I had a guy say that to me the other night. I just looked at him and said it's a buick.....

yeah this will be way more satisfying then dropping a sbc in the car nor would i ever do so given that olds buick and pontiac shared alot and this just felt like the right thing to do to make my 442 move like it should've and i'm not going to lie I've always wanted to do a turbo build. Looking forward in doing the inter-cooler setup that's for sure :)