Horn Broken.. Watch for Finger!!

ATEAV8GN

IC? Who needs that crap!
Gents,

Well its inspection time around here again and the horn on the '84 is broken. I know the horn itself it trashed, so I swapped one off the '85 (horn itself works). BUT the problem is that I have a constant 12V at the plug at the horn. wether or not Im pushing the button, there is always 12V at the plug, therefore if I hook the good horn up then it will honk until the battery runs out. I've checked the button itself.. fine, replaced the turn signal cancel cam thingy in the column.. nothing changed.

Is there a horn relay somewhere? Im thinking its stuck on or something to that effect. Or can someone just identify which wire I need to look for coming out of the bottom of the column so that I can hook it up to a ghetto temporary horn button under the dash just so I can pass inspection?

Thanks in advance,

i'm working on my horn as well. I'm not totally sure, (haven't used a volt meter) it seems there is always 12 volts to the horn wire, but the trick is that it doesn't honk unless its grounded. Which brings into play the two plates just under the stering wheel button. there needs to be some foam there to set the two apart, but allow them to be pushed towhere when you hit th ebutton, thus closing the circut and allow the horn to honk. I will be fixing mine tomarrow, maybe i will have to correct my self or be proud i got this one right.

Sorry, don't mean to deviate from your tech topic but I'm amazed!! You are serious? Texas checks for operation of your horn? Geez, and to think that here in California we get a wrap for being a Gestapo controlled state!! Don't get me wrong, our smog tests are bad and all, but no one gives a damn whether the horn works or not. Best of luck to you from behind the California iron curtain!!! Maybe it's not so bad out here after all!!!

Well every state I have been to that requires a safety inspection tests for the horn. PA, CT, NC, SC, OH, MI, NY. The best one though was North Carolina. You were required to have operating windshield wipers. You were however not required to have a windshield as long as you wear eye protection. Makes sense huh?

Its gotta be the relay. 12 volts + all the timeat horns? Take relay apart and youll find its stuck closed, imo.
When are we all gonna fight this overly regualated society.
Good luck

Rick,

If you think its stuck closed (like I originally did) where exactly is the damn thing? Under the dash or something???

TIA,

Drew

horndogg

Drew,
Did some dtective work. I disconnected my horns and hit the horn button and listened for the click of the horn relay. It is a big:eek: black plastic one and its under the dash just to the right of the steering column. It also looks like it culd be snapped apart. I'd try thumping it . The horns sound when they get 12plus. So a short to ground from relay high current side to horn would blow a fuse-not your problem. I bet that the relay recieves a ground from the horn button circuit. So if relay is not stuck on then maybe its being triggerd on by a ground somewhere from relay to horn slip ring. Easy check with ohmmeter. These cars are great, last of the breed where you can actually find and reach stuff like this.
Latronic, Layrubber.

Horn Relay for the 86 87 cars is in the Convenience center or chime box as it's called.

Could also be the theft deterrant horn relay if the car has a factory or added aftermarket alarm relay in it.

Originally posted by machinegun
Well every state I have been to that requires a safety inspection tests for the horn. PA, CT, NC, SC, OH, MI, NY. The best one though was North Carolina. You were required to have operating windshield wipers. You were however not required to have a windshield as long as you wear eye protection. Makes sense huh?

I have never had to have a saftey inpection any ANY vehicle or EVER heard of such a thing in MI (maybe CDL saftey checks though I don't drive a big truck). I agree with the checks. I see things that truely amaze me around here.

They HAD emmisions testing, but some counties were exempt from testing(why I don't know and never will), now all emmisions testing is history.