Hopeful closure...

ski_dwn_it

well some of you were following the saga of my "fuel-slingin" DFI unit that hydrolocked my motor SEVERAL times. The unit was sent back in and repaired by DFI free of charge and in quick fashion. Very pleased at how quick they took care of the problem.

Unfortunately within a week of getting it back, the unit did it again. Called them and they said it definately is something in the box...nothing could cause this in the box, and something else must have been screwed up that they were unable to detect. I REPEATEDLY asked both with them and here if something in the car could have been causing the problems. They repeatedly said nothing in the car could cause this problem. I told them I was fearful of the car and my personal well-being (gas pouring of the header pipes in the garage last time and all it would have taken was a spark in the wrong place and I, the car and the garage/house would be up in flames!) Told them I wanted a completely NEW board installed in the unit. No more trying to repair it, too much riding on this thing working and the problem has potentially become a safety issue.

Again I have to say they were very professional about the situation. Got on the job fairly quick and called me back today to tell me the management agreed to replace the board and upgrade it to Version 5.X.

Great I thought until they mentioend the charge for the upgrade. Said it was impossible to avoid it. :rolleyes: Not so sure about impossible....after a little argueing on the phone with someone that couldn't really make the call themself - I agreed to pay. They did knock it down to 130 dollar - and being that I was getting the upgrade to the newest version of the software/firmware, I figured it was OK. Not to mention this would get me a new board and get me past this rut I have been stuck in with this ECM since back in mid MAY.

Frankly just want to race my car. Got twins on the way and this might be the last summer/fall I have to race very much. So in the end, the unit is getting upgraded. All in all, the rut has cost me about 90 dollars x 3 times in oil replacement from it flooding; 50% of the racing season; and ~100 dollars in shipping. :rolleyes:

Happy - yeah that it soon will be over
Overjoyed as I was with the first way they handled the problem - maybe just luke warm.
However - I have a realistic outlook on this performance stuff, it cost you money no matter how you slice it. Had I been racing all these months - I surely would have broken several things in the rear and probably spent some other money on race gas, hauling the car, food, entry fees. Probably came out ahead actually with the problem money wise.

So there you have it........thanks you all for the help and figured some of you deserve a follow-up to the situation.

PS: Anyone know anything about version 5, looks like I get to start from scratch again. :eek:

Just a word of advice, If the battey voltage is low, do not attempt to start the car, I found it some how goes corrupt if you do this. I lost IAC controll once totally. Also while programming if the voltage is low you will get errors. The version 5 firmware i find has better communication then the version 4, less errors. Also online remote programming, pwm ouput for anything you want and some added nos features, and a few more things. I would make sure the main grounds go right back to the battery also as its very important on the ecu.

ALso have a main power shut off and carry one of these.....just in case

Attachments

• fire-ext-all-smaller.JPG
    fire-ext-all-smaller.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 131
v5.0 Upgrade Info

You'll need to resend your calibration file to the ECM using the version 5 software. Then verify that all the new tables and settings that you didn't have before are filled in with reasonable values and enabled or disabled as appropriate.

PM sent also.

aDFIguy said:
v5.0 Upgrade Info

You'll need to resend your calibration file to the ECM using the version 5 software. Then verify that all the new tables and settings that you didn't have before are filled in with reasonable values and enabled or disabled as appropriate.

PM sent also.

Thanks guyys for the information. I hear you norbs about the Fire Ext. :eek:

What I am going to do most likely is just start fresh, like I never had the system before. This way nothing is being left to chance that something might have been corrupt or something.

Probably going to also schedule a dyno session to get all the areas of the VE map straightened out. This car is WAY too hard to get into all the cells on the table while driving on the street. It cruises at 70+ mPh barely touching the gas peddle and to put any load on the motor on the street you get going WAY too fast. I have a large hill I used to get into some of them...but I prefer to just start over again.

DFI guy - did not get your PM?/?