hooker exhaust install

sixbanger

Purchased a Hooker dual muffler exhaust from Jeg's and was my first time ever installing an exhaust. Went pretty easy. No instructions on how to mount the tailpipes, but thanks to a search on this site and someone's good photos wasn't a big deal. My question is .... the exhaust is supported at the hanger where the cat used to be and and the tailpipes are bolted to the frame in the back, but does it need to be supported in the middle somewhere? or is it not neccesary?
tia
Scott Porterfield
87 gn

I used the hangers that came with the kit according to the instructions. They attatch to the front of the mufflers(inlet side). Just drill 2 holes thru the section of crossmember above them and insert the long bolts that came with the kit. I did it just because its such a heavy exhaust.

I thought the rubber hangers attached to the back of the mufflers, at least that is the way I did mine. Either way with the hangers installed on the mufflers, the catalytic converter hanger does not add a lot of additional support.

I remember doing mine to the front of the mufflers as per the instructions. But later switched to the rear and found it to work better.

thanks for the responses. Sounds like supporting by the back of the mufflers is the way to go. I am pretty sure the instructions only show where the hangers go, but not reallly how to install them. Can anyone give me a brief description how those things attach to the back of the muffs?
I removed a factory style, single muffler system, so I don't really have guide to follow.
thanks again for the responses, now if it would get above 0 degrees here, I might get it finished.

Put the exhaust clamp around the back of each muffler....with the rubber hanger facing up. Then get one of the "L" brackets with 2 holes in each flat surface for each muffler. Then look up in the frame, there should be a small triangle "brace" about where the muffs would sit. Put a bolt facing down through the hole on the frame and attach the "L" bracket. Tighten to the frame with washers and nuts, then attach the rubber hanger/strip to the other hole.

In the rear, you will need to drill holes for the tailpipe mounts.....or use self tapping sheet metal screws. HTH

(Hard to explain)