Hooker.. Down pipe Help

turbo1962

I have a hooker super competition down pipe with delta gate mark II p/n 10101 turbonetics. it came with the car .i was wanting to run about 24# of boost and ta 49 or te61 turbo. will this work and put out max power or do i need to sell and buy a THDP 3" ...does some one know which way the vac lines go? also using a boost controller.

Attachments

• 100_0326.jpg
    100_0326.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 343
I have a hooker super competition down pipe with delta gate mark II p/n 10101 turbonetics. it came with the car .i was wanting to run about 24# of boost and ta 49 or te61 turbo. will this work and put out max power or do i need to sell and buy a THDP 3" ...does some one know which way the vac lines go? also using a boost controller.

junk dont even waste your time will hurt performance just like the headers do to

junk dont even waste your time will hurt performance just like the headers do to

What?? :confused: How is a 3" downpipe w/ ext. gate (assuming it works) going to hurt performance?? Just because it says 'Hooker' on it? What does it have to do with headers? Am I missing something??

What?? :confused: How is a 3" downpipe w/ ext. gate (assuming it works) going to hurt performance?? Just because it says 'Hooker' on it? What does it have to do with headers? Am I missing something??
the hooker headers hurt your performance and i was just stating that nothing to do with what you have as far as headers but the down pipe maybe 3 inches up top but it tapers to 2 1/4 to 2 1/2. you can get a thdp with an internal wategate which is wayyyy better and doesnt look as clustered

Most put the 3" down pipe on 1st then try Hooker headers after that and don't like the outcome. What if the smaller 2.5" "restrictive" Hooker Downpipe was paired with the "laggy headers" What would be the effect on spool and performance. Just wondering.... Maybe thats why its that way they meant for it to be.... Thoughts.....

Put it next to your stock downpipe and exhaust elbow! Would have to say it should flow better than that!! lol Is it as good as a 3inch? Would have to say no! But if you have one and its already paid for why not use it. I have had and seen cars in the 11s with the stock downpipe! I have a 3inch stainless pipe on my GN ,but Im in the middle of converting a n/a 85 to 86/87 specs and have a hooker downpipe sitting in the basement and will most likely be putting it on that car! Good luck Craig

Put it next to your stock downpipe and exhaust elbow! Would have to say it should flow better than that!! lol Is it as good as a 3inch? Would have to say no! But if you have one and its already paid for why not use it.

My point exactly.... :smile:

I have a ported stock housing with a postons 3" down pipe would i be better off to use it, and sell the hooked down pipe??

I have a ported stock housing with a postons 3" down pipe would i be better off to use it, and sell the hooker down pipe??

I'm going to guess that's probably a toss up.... That old external gate on the Hooker may well have 'issues', though.... or may acquire some... I believe they are known for that... so I'd probably sell the Hooker and keep whatcha' got.... probably won't matter either way unless you are trying to go faster than, say, hi 11's... IMHO...

The BIGGEST down fall of the Hooker down pipe is the wastegate discharge pipe placement. It is placed right in the outside of the elbow. A wastegate works off of Delta P (pressure differntial) and if the discharge pipe is located in the middle of the outside of an elbow, it will build a pressure head at the discharge point and make the wastegate unreliable at high power levels. The Delata-Gate (Turbonetics) is a good wastegate. I've used them for many years. They DO need maintenence, though. There are small teflon* o-rings that seal the shaft, and they wear out. Cheap and easy to fix, but you need to replace them periodically.
To get to the root of the issue, simply put, the Hooker down pipe WILL have boost creep issues, AND it is only a 2.5" diameter. It WILL out flow the stock elbow and down pipe, though. I have built cars that run in the 11's with a STOCK ebow and downpipe, though, too. I would recommend the use of a 3" down pipe instead. I have a Hooker down pipe in the shop. $200 on E-bay? I better post it FAST!!!!!;)