Hood support struts....don't last???

PaulRV6

The hood shock absorbers don't seem to last long on my 86GN. I last replaced them a couple yrs ago with GM replacements and now they won't hold the hood up. What gives with these? What does everyone else replace them with? Thanks

paul

Dito. My 86GN is once again in need of replacement hood shock ansorbers. I believe I replaced about 2 year ago also.

Yeah, I replaced mine about 2 yrs. ago with a pair from Kirbans, once again the hood will not stay up, time for another pair again.

mine with what you get at the parts stores and it has been 6 years and still hold.....knock on something..

There was a recent lengthy discussion of hood airlift cylinders at TurboBuicks.com - TR Gas Hood Struts

I prefer to use the GM # 1259327 airlifts over any of the aftermarket parts, even though it's more expensive. They do lose their compressed gas after a few years, they're essentially a consumable part :frown:

I bought mine from autozone 8 years ago and they are still working great.:smile:

Do they aftermarket ones have the same holding strength and stiffness for pulling the hood down? I have the stock hood so it's not that big of a deal but I was just wondering.

paul

Do they aftermarket ones have the same holding strength and stiffness for pulling the hood down? I have the stock hood so it's not that big of a deal but I was just wondering.
paul
There have been reports of the aftermarket cylinder being too strong, and having caused damage to the hood brackets. This seems an extreme case, though. I wanted to take no chances on my "Princess", and replaced a new set of MightyLift (Autozone) cylinders with GM , just to be safe. The MightyLifts were slightly stronger (but not drastically so), but the GM cylinders are smoother in their action, throughout the full arc of the hood's swing.

I must not open & shut the hood enough, I'm still on the originals. They're tiring, though, maybe next year.

Rumbling around Pull A Part the other day and was looking at a 1987 Cutlass. They have hood hinges like a GN but use a 2 piece hood support that scissors with a spring. There is an extension bracket that mounts to the hood into which the top of the scissors/spring hood support bolts to. The other end of the hood support bolts to the fender.

Anyone ever try to adapt this type of hood support to a GN and replace the gas struts?