Homemade deep pan and sump

Firechicken

Hey guys, because a custom built tranny pan is just waaay too expensive, I decided to make my own. The trans pan itself is made from two stock pans. The bottom is cut off one, and the top is cut off the other. Then they are welded together to make one pan which is about twice as deep as the stock pan.

The sump is made up of simple household copper water piping soldered to a 1/4" copper plate to which a th200 trans filter is attached. (Fram part# FT1036)

The sump pics are below, and I will post the pan pics tomorrow.

100_1128.JPG

100_1129.JPG

100_1130.JPG

Hmmm, I guess I used a bit too much solder. Oh well...it won't leak now. :)

I do not mind

Just thought it to be funny, that's all.
Good luck and I hope it works for you.
Great idea!!!! LOL

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com :)

pleased to see others experiment with the 2004r.in a short while we will be releasing all three planetaries in 8 pinions again as well as will redesigned carriersand front ring gear .stay tuned.

Hey guys, I forgot to post a pic of how I attached my sump to the valvebody. I used straps I bought at Home Depot which are used to secure electrical conduits to walls. They hold the setup very securely. They came in a pack of 10 and were dirt cheap. Around two dollars I think. Below is a pic.

100_1398.JPG

what is the flat piece of copper that bolt to the filter does the pipe go thru it or just soldered to it
Thanx
Tom

haha Oh well, no one sees it anyway. It looks pretty good with a nice coat of paint. :)

I used a half inch drill bit and drilled right through the copper plate. The pipe fit inside perfectly and I soldered it in. Then I filed off the bit that was sticking through. It looks like the elbow is soldered to the plate, but there is a bit of pipe there to mate the two together.

The copper was a pain to drill though. It is so soft that the drill bits just want to make a dent and then don't like to bite.

as long

as it functions, who cares right? good job, I would try that, accept I need a new tranny first lol lol :D :biggrin: too bad its too expensive for me right now, i'll just slip around if you know what I'm saying. :cool:

I am Thrilled that you are using your mind to play with new things, however

We were the first to come up with the "Bottom Feeder"(TM) set up. PTS XTREME applauds your efforts and do not really care that you are experimenting. Doing them for yourself is GREAT!. Just do not sell them to the public.
But, I don't want to sound ugly in any way, but we are in the process of trademarking and patenting this product. Our sheet metal pans and Bottom Feeder sumps. They have already been locked away with a notary stamp , before we sold any and it is in process right now. The lawyers have it. ( More money to those thieves, LOL)
Like I said, I think it is great you are playing ,but please respect the fact that PTS XTREME was the first to do this and we are protecting our investment on this one. I will protect this product to the hilt, as everything else I have come up with has been copied or stolen. (Not by Ck , so anyone who wants to start some crap between CK and PTS can forget it. It will not happen as Chris and I have discussed this at length.)
Just wanted to put a heads up out there for this product. We were just featured in two magazines about our pans and sumps and TCI Automotive has just taken on the line as well as Summit and Jegs.
SO..... PTS must have done something right. ( Man, it is about time!) :)
Anyway, good luck to all and if anybody needs anything , do not hesitate to contact PTS at any time. Great product that works!!! Ask somebody who has and is running one.

Thanks
Bruce
WE4

Ooops I'm sorry Bruce. I will fix the post showing the setup.

EDIT: Actually It won't let me change those old posts. Bruce I have no problems if you want to get rid of the 1st and 3rd pics of the sump and even the explanation on how to make one as well.

Hmm I think I can delete those pics from the server I used to host them.

I hadn't realised that this was truely trademarked. I have no intentions on selling to anyone. I'm just a do-it-yourselfer that enjoys tinkering with things.

EDIT: Hehe I came up with a solution. I can put it back to the way it was if you desire Bruce.

Man, do not sweat it

I think it is great you did this. Nice feeling of accomplishment, huh? Don't sweat it. All I wanted was to make a point that we own this design in the marketplace. You building your own had to be both satisfying and fun. The fun part is what makes it cool! :biggrin: I like the guys pan in the post above alot tho.... ROFL :)

Anyway, all have a great Friday and weekend. We are moving and it is raining so it sucks out here right now. I am very scarce right now and we are down completely till next week , minimum.
If anybody NEEDS me they can reach me at 916-952-9567

Bruce
WE4

Good job. Next time you use the Mig Welder, set the gas to 18 CFH. Your gas requirement looks too low of a setting and I bet the weld is spattering alot.