home made downpipe question.

Ev87Ttype

So I have an idea.... Keep in mind I'm a professional welder and fabricator... I have built many sets of headers from just a bunch of mandrel bent pipes. I was thinking about cutting a stock turbo outlet housing in to nothing but a flange with the stock wastegate puck attached. Then I will use 3 inch ss mandrel bent pipe to build a downpipe and weld it to the flange. I know the flange is cast iron, I have welded a lot of cast before. My only concern is a weak weld at that flange. I would build a new steel flange but I have no good way to build a properly working puck. I figure that by using the stock elbow as a flange I can cut it in such a way that the puck and lever stays attached and I can build around it. Does anyone see any reason this won't work or out perform a stock dp? I can build this for about 80 bucks. That is why I am considering this. Am I wasting my time? Everyone that builds nice dp today had to start somewhere.

That is exactly what I did. Buy the flange and wastegate flap. Its a nice piece. I built a 3.5 inch pipe. Fits like a glove.

So I have an idea.... Keep in mind I'm a professional welder and fabricator... I have built many sets of headers from just a bunch of mandrel bent pipes. I was thinking about cutting a stock turbo outlet housing in to nothing but a flange with the stock wastegate puck attached. Then I will use 3 inch ss mandrel bent pipe to build a downpipe and weld it to the flange. I know the flange is cast iron, I have welded a lot of cast before. My only concern is a weak weld at that flange. I would build a new steel flange but I have no good way to build a properly working puck. I figure that by using the stock elbow as a flange I can cut it in such a way that the puck and lever stays attached and I can build around it. Does anyone see any reason this won't work or out perform a stock dp? I can build this for about 80 bucks. That is why I am considering this. Am I wasting my time? Everyone that builds nice dp today had to start somewhere.

A buddy of mine did something very similar except he used mild steel exhaust tubing and he left most of the exhaust housing intact. He just cut an area large enough to stick a 3" pipe in the end of it then welded it all together and to my surprise it has never cracked. He made several for friends and they all "worked" perfect. They look ugly but under the shield you can see it anyway.
I made my own from a flange I bought from ATR, 3" exhaust tubing and a puck assy off a junk turbo exhaust housing. I have $45 in parts in it.

ks

You Fab Guys sure have it rough. Able to make your own parts instead of having to shell out 3-500 bux. Makes me envious.

Are you any good with a camera? How about a build/fab post?

Thanks
~JM~

You Fab Guys sure have it rough. Able to make your own parts instead of having to shell out 3-500 bux. Makes me envious.

Thanks
~JM~

Yea, I kinda know my way around a camera:
http://www.artscene.org/member/?id=109&action=media

It does take commitment to purchase the tools so we can do fab work instead of the kewl race parts but in the long run it can save $$. It also takes personal contacts to show you how to use the equipment or in my case a lot of trial and error.

Having a welder ($300), small bench-top drill press ($?) and band saw ($200) is the best thing. I fabbped up some mounting brackets to mount my new electric motor for my evacuation system behind the front bumper last night.

KS

No way I'm paying 129 for that flange. I have a couple customers that have plasma cams. I think if I drop off a turbo outlet gasket I can talk him into cutting me a flange out of 1/2" plate for free. I'll also have him make me 4, 3", 3-bolt flanges, for the test pipe/ dump. If not I can spend some time with the plasma cutter, bandsaw and belt sander and make my own. But I might still buy that rjs puck for $55. Unless anyone has a elbow that I can cut up to get the wastegate out of it?

~JM~ said:

Thanks
~JM~

When I get all of the parts made, I will take step by step photos and post them. If I use mild steel I might have it ceramic coated and it will look like a $400 pipe. If I use stainless it will be polished.

I recommend buying the larger puck from RJC. That's my downfall right now with my DP. They didn't have larger pucks available back then and now my puck is too small for my new turbo I recently ordered. So instead of modifying my DP I just bought a new one.

Yea, do a fab article on your project with pics, that would be nice to have on this site.
KS

KEVINS said:
I recommend buying the larger puck from RJC. That's my downfall right now with my DP. They didn't have larger pucks available back then and now my puck is too small for my new turbo I recently ordered. So instead of modifying my DP I just bought a new one.

Yea, do a fab article on your project with pics, that would be nice to have on this site.
KS

Thanks for the advice. That is prob what ill do.

I did it with mild steel onto a cast cut exhaust flange.....about 15 years ago. Still holding strong. Funny thing.....it was the flange on a mustang SVO and the bend was the up pipe from a GN.

Go ahead...shoot me. Car is still on the road :)

currently cutting it the F loose