Home Audio Questions

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
I have some questions for any home audio experts that might be out there:

I'm finishing my basement. I want to put a big screen TV and decent surround sound (like 6.1 or 7.1) system in. I also want to feed video from multiple sources to multiple TVs so that when I switch the source and/or channels that all the TVs change. The area is 33 x 15 with an "L" at the end where I'm putting a bar. The bar part is 5 x 8. The TV will be at the other end in a 14 x 15 space (but there's no partitions, so it really runs the full 33 feet)

My questions are:

1) Are the in-wall speakers as good or better than decent "normal" speakers. I have an Infinity setup that sounds decent but I like the idea of in-wall stuff. I don't want the in-wall stuff to sound worse.

2) In addition to a "normal" surround sound setup, I want to put L, R, and Center back by the bar so you can hear the TV from there (the TV will be 30 feet away). Should I run amplified signal or pre-amp signal back to the bar (amp will be by the TV, needs to run about 50 feet to get to the bar).

3) Similar to above - how to I run video back there (from the TV area to the bar) . Is there anything with a coax OUT (like a TV or receiver or something) so I can run regular coax cable? Everything I have is composite (RCA) out, which is cool, but I don't know how to run RCA that far (and I don't know if there are distance limitations).

I know I should probably find a good audio forum, but I hate being a newb. I figure someone here has to be in the know.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,
Hope all is well and that some of this advice helps (I worked for Audio Video Creations in Manhasset, NY for 5 years.)
www.audiovideocreations.com

1) If your walls are built well and properly baffled (reducing or eliminating unwanted resonance and midrange coloration), a good set of in-wall speakers can be bought from many high-end manufacturers these days. Infinity, along with NHT, psb, Mirage, Monitor Audio make very dynamic and natural sounding in-wall loudpeakers. I have always been an advocate of Monitor Audio personally (their IW S4 inwall has it's own full MDF enclosure), but your ear will be the judge of what you like.

2) Running an extra LCR near the bar is fine. In fact, there are simple ways to do it via in-wall multi-zone controllers that allow you to turn on/off that set of speakers remotely. You are much better off running long runs of high-quality speaker wire versus long runs of signal cable.

3) As for sending a video signal out that far, you can use a long coaxial from the "video out" of a VCR (VCR will need to be on and in 'VCR' mode for the loop to send signal to your other TV) or TV. If not, running a longer (50ft.) run of good RCA cable is OK. Monster M series is reasonably priced and incredibly well shielded. Example - a 50ft. M1000-v is about $175. You had mentioned "multiple" video sources. Are you also going to plan for multiple TVs? That's something to be addressed now as well...

Jim, feel free to write me/call me if you'd like. Or I can get you in touch with my good friends where I worked and they can help you solidify your system plans.
HTH!
Erik
erikquick@yahoo.com --- 917-660-2821

Erik,

Thanks a million for the info.

I'm still in the framing stage and those were the questions that immediately came to mind. Once I get to wiring, within the next few weeks, I'm sure I'll have lots more questions.

All of the walls are at least a few inches from the concrete wall meaning that they're not sealed from each other. I could seal them up where I want to put speakers, though. They'll all be insulated eventually.

As far as the video goes, I had wanted to send the signal that the "big" TV gets to 2 other TVs. I have multiple video feeds - DVD, cable box, TiVO, and VCR. All are switched through an A/V receiver with a composite out to my TV. The receiver may have a coax out on it, I'll have to look. If that's the case, I can just split that and send it to the other TVs.

Thanks again,
Jim

There's a ton of composite video and even audio/video distribution amplifiers out there at reasonable cost.

Here's one I found with a quick search. We used to use them back in my old job. Did some distribution A/V in stores with multiple TV's.

http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/product.CFM?BaseItem=KR-103AV

I would also make sure the back TV at the bar cannot interfere with the audio out of the rear speakers for the main TV. Could be a problem that may need some acoustical tiles or panels to isolate the two areas.

If you have enough room you might build in some bookshelf type speakers you like into the new wall area or perhaps the Infinity's can be built into the front wall.

If not the NHT's are okay but definately try and preview what you want to use first.

To me the center channel is most important for a video setup I have trouble with voice recognition in most home theatre setups too much attention to L + R effects and not enough to the voice and center channel cues.

If the front L+R's are doing a lot of stereo music duty make sure they are a good quality speaker and can fill that room nicely without straining. :)

Just my .02.

I constructed a "media room" in my basement with the target listining/viewing area the same basic dimensions you describe.

Two things:

I spent a few hundred $$ to have the walls and cieling insulated with ordinary glass insulation -that changed the resonant frequency of the walls and cut unwanted resonance in the media room, and made the rest of the house quieter when the sound tracks were rocking in the basement. Money well spent.

The "L" portion of my room is 11x15, and the sound has no trouble getting around the corner....You prolly don't really need that LCR feed at the bar. In fact, as a retired audiologist, I'd expect that LCR feed from the bar to interfere with the back channels as they introduce the surround portion of the sound track to the target sitting area. Remember, these rear speakers are fooling your brain to percieve movement in space....A LCR feed introduced from the rear, will interfere at the very least. Just a thought.

My bias towards traditional speakers:

I have to say that "in the wall speakers" have come a long way, but, I'm biased toward the flexability of the old fashioned speakers. Not the least flexible caharacteristic is that you can take them with you when you move ;)

One other important thing:

Use shielded speaker wires and patch cords for the whole setup, or, you might hear local radio stations when you don't want to. Experience talking here....

Good luck

Thanks salvagev6 and lburou.

I have a tendency to over complicate things. The only reason I wanted the LCR back by the "L" was I personally find it annoying when I can't hear voices from the TV at a distance.

It would probably be easier to run the composite video and LR RCAs back via patch cable and plug them into a little, cheap TV.

I had planned on insulating all the walls and ceiling anyway, so that should help. I haven't designed any doors anywhere, so there's a little over 1,000 SF of wall for the sound to bounce off of if you consider the other "rooms" (again, no doors).

Looks like the video will be pretty easy to distribute, too.

Thanks again,
Jim

Voices are in the center channel, you can run a wire to a speaker with the center channel signal to your bar....or, as salvage 6 suggested, a cable from the VCR to a small TV at the bar....

I got a Polk audio for my center channel speaker, a bit pricey, but works well.