Holy Sparkplugs!

jspeed86

Sorry guys for the catchy title, anyway, I was needing some recomendations on what type of Sparkplug to go with. I found that the AC R43TS was recommended on the Turbo Regal website for mid 13sec. cars, but when I went to Autozone, all they had was the R44TS, which I'm guessing is the same thing but newer. Let me know what you guys are using, or what should I go with for the best performance??? The car is a 86' T-type and is boosting 18-PSI.

Thanks for any advice!:D :D :D

The 44's mean that they run even hotter. Generally, you want a colder plug to stop detonation, but if you go too cold you might run into plug fouling. (Higher the number, the hotter the plug runs)
There computer probably shows the 44's, but ask them to look in the back for the 43's. I just did this for 42's earlier this week.

R44TS is one step hotter than the R43TS. Also, you should ask for CR43TS (a commercial grade plug that cost the same amount as the R43TS). The R44TS is the recommended plug the the TR, but lot of us run plugs one or even two steps colder. I have used CR43TS and CR42TS and rapid fires 2 and 1(1 is colder than 2), and hve not had any issues with any of them. The counter guy needs to ignore the plug that is required and bring out the plug you want.

At what point do you go from a CR43TS to a CR42TS?? I run 24 lbs of boost quite often with alky. Running a TA49, 37lb injectors (I know, I should go higher, right?)

Car was almost dipping into the 11's last time I raced it.

Mark,
I know I'm not near as fast as you, but I try and use the coldest plug without detonating. I have had good luck with the 43, and when the rapidfire 1 (same as the 42s) were in it, the idle was still smooth. I'm planning on stepping up to a TA49 turbo, and right now boost is around 19. As you've read through some of my post, I had a problem with a machinist hanging the odd rod backwards, so I'm now assemblying a new engine (well rebuilt). The new engine will have the TA49 on it, so I'm unsure how things are going to go, until it's in the car. I can't wait, reading how all you guys are driving around and I'm cruising the Chevelle.
Sorry, a little off topic rant

I read somewhere not to use the rapid fires in our motors. The reason being that rapid fires are designed to carry the spark from the electrode to the ground which is fine for 3 of the plugs in our motors. The other 3 plugs push the spark from the ground to the electrode due to our ignition system. Someone may want to qualify this as I am getting old and suffering from CRS.

Bob

I read the same thing (on the board), but after i already had the plugs installed. I have never noticed a firing problem with rapidfires. Maybe it's just me:confused:

AC 43's have worked well for me and I run 26# of boost at the track. I do change them every spring.