hm help me out on this one (lookin at a new buick)

ll3lue

Well there is a 86GN for sale by my house and the guy is asking 8500 for the car..he was asking 9k earlier this week...but here's a rundown on the car

The guy let the car sit for a year or so and it messed up the gas tank i guess and he had to replace the gastank, and then he was having a hard time gettin the car running so he brought it to KDK where he replaced the fuelpump and put in 50LB injectors and i guess did around 1500 worth of tuning work to the car to get it to run good

Boost is at 15PSI and the car put down 330HP at the wheels on the dyno (the car was at 20PSI which the guy knew was way to much so he brought it to KDK and i guess he turned down the boost)

Oil pressure is 65 cold and 20 warm

Odometer reads 92k (dont know if this is actual miles)

Turbo is a T-60? (i thought there was a TE-60 and a TA-60 but just a t-60?)

it originally had 2 fuelpumps but the guy said KDK replaced to it to a bigger single fuelpump (i'm guessing a walbro 340)

Tranny is stock (how much can a stock tranny handle??)

Brand new firestone firehawk tires

interior has been replaced (looks great)

NO SCANTOOL (this scares me lol)

AC works great and has the orignal R12 in it

Car has a cheap paintjob..but doesn't look completely horrible

He also said the car has a Voltmaster? what is that? or did he mean a volt booster?

Also has a FMIC and a BOV

So what do you guys think?? I'm meeting up with him tommorow to test drive it and really look at it, what do you guys think would be a fair price and what should i look for? He sounds like he knows a few guys in the Central FL buick club, anyone know this car parked on SR436 right before 17-92?

Why isn't it in your driveway! If the body is good, that sounds like a fair price if its RPO matchs. Hook up your own SM and look it over really good for cancer in the usual places.

when i pull the car fax it says

Year/Make/Model: 1986 BUICK REGAL T-TYPE

Body Style: COUPE
Engine: 3.8L V6 SFI OHV TURBO
Fuel: GASOLINE
Driveline: REAR WHEEL DRIVE
Manufactured in: UNITED STATES
Safety Equipment: Active (manual) belts
Standard Equipment: Power Windows Optional, Power Steering, Air Conditioning, AM, Power Brakes, Tilt Wheel Optional, 6-digit Odometer

is this actually a grand national??

and this isnt' lookin so good either

Accident Indicators Detail:
Date: Source: Detail:
08/24/1987 Accident Reported
Involving a front impact
with a parked car
07/21/2002 Accident Reported
in Palm Beach County
Involving a front impact
with another motor vehicle
Moderate or severe damage reported
Tires were a possible
factor in the accident

Have to compare RPO to VIN. GN is an option package for a T Type Regal. Accidents are no big deal as long as they are repaired correctly, many don't get reported, so you at least know one place to look closely. Offer up 7k and see if he bites. Sounds like a good deal if its not rusted out IMO.

cheap gn

Hi,
Just buy the car, then worry about the rest. The drivetrain is worth a few grand, stem to stern. I imagine you have an original item there. Parting these cars can bring big bucks too, though I would never advocate this for a complete GN.Do your homework, look at the car, and decide if it is original. Good luck!

20 psi warm idle oil pressure is on the low end. What kind of oil?

As a comparison, I just rebuilt my engine, the main bearings are at or above the UPPER limit of factory clearances, and hot idle oil pressure with 10W30 is 35 psi.

DMan said:
20 psi warm idle oil pressure is on the low end. What kind of oil?

As a comparison, I just rebuilt my engine, the main bearings are at or above the UPPER limit of factory clearances, and hot idle oil pressure with 10W30 is 35 psi.

on GNttype.org it says warm idle should be in the high teens?

High teens? For what age motor?

Put it this way - prior to the rebuild, my hot idle oil pressure was between 11-13 psi. This was a 100,000 mile motor, and my rear main bearing looked like this:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1191310&postcount=114

So, to say high teens is what a motor should have begs a lot of questions.

Another data point - a local buddy of mine has about 70k on his motor, and he gets about 24-26 psi oil pressure at hot idle. Engine never been opened.

So what I probably should have said it that 20 psi is probably in the ball park for a 90k odd mile motor. That being said, you're probably looking at a rebuild in the the not too distant future.

the spec for a buick 231 for warm oil pressure is 1 pound per hundred RPM thats the minimum. the desired idle is around 750-800RPM i beleive so 8psi is when it gets scary at idle- 20 is plenty. most buicks ive ever owned or been in have been 12-20psi hot oil pressure at idle- its fine.