Highway Stars High Output Coil Pack

JustABuick

Has anyone run this piece before?

http://www.highwaystars.net/coil-pack-high-output-hs552/

I'm sure the TR6 is the best way to go, but i'm wondering if anyone has real world experience with this before. I can only support about 23psi on E85, so I'm wondering if this would be enough to get me to 25psi. Has anyone noticed a higher output from this compared to the regular Delco unit?

Thanks

The description claims that is a replacement coil. Not a higher output than the original. If your original is no longer producing the spark output that it should, you would probably benefit.

I guess I misread, thanks for the clarification. So it's cheaper than the Delco unit because it's not a Delco, but the same spark output? I think my spark output isn't what it should be, but I should probably verify. I've heard it's pretty tricky getting good aftermarket coil packs, but I trust Highway Stars, so i'm sure this piece is good.

Has anyone run this piece before?

http://www.highwaystars.net/coil-pack-high-output-hs552/

I'm sure the TR6 is the best way to go, but i'm wondering if anyone has real world experience with this before. I can only support about 23psi on E85, so I'm wondering if this would be enough to get me to 25psi. Has anyone noticed a higher output from this compared to the regular Delco unit?

Thanks
I've had no problems running that coil pack.

Highway Stars' HO coil pack is good to go.

But, a couple of questions.
When you say your car can only support 23psi on E85, this makes me ask...

What plugs are you using and what are they gapped at?
Is your coil pack and ignition model stock? What's their age?

23psi should be no problem on the stock ignition system, if both pieces are good, (coil pack and ignition module) you're running the right plugs and the gaps are right. Are you meaning, your fuel system won't allow you to go over 23psi? Or is it breaking up when you push past 23psi?
Just curious.

-Patrick-

Highway Stars' HO coil pack is good to go.

But, a couple of questions.
When you say your car can only support 23psi on E85, this makes me ask...

What plugs are you using and what are they gapped at?
Is your coil pack and ignition model stock? What's their age?

23psi should be no problem on the stock ignition system, if both pieces are good, (coil pack and ignition module) you're running the right plugs and the gaps are right. Are you meaning, your fuel system won't allow you to go over 23psi? Or is it breaking up when you push past 23psi?
Just curious.

-Patrick-

Thanks for the feedback! As far as the plugs and their gap, I have it written down, but i forget off the top of my head, but they were gapped tight (this was done at Brian Lorenz's back in the fall on a dyno session). The coil pack and module are not NOS, but they were new aftermarket when I installed them in late fall of 2014, so it's entirely possible that they are just old. The fuel system was fine for 23psi, the ignition seemed to be breaking up. Brian and I didn't want to push it too far, as we were happy with those numbers at the time, but I figured this season I could try to inch it up to 25psi and see if it's happy there.

Definitely find out what your plug gaps were set at and which plugs were used and let us know.
And Brian knows his stuff.
Honestly, if your coil pack and ignition module were replaced back then and you have limited miles on them, chances are they are still good to go. They typically don't go bad from sitting / no use.
Especially if the car is kept out of the elements.

-Patrick-

Definitely find out what your plug gaps were set at and which plugs were used and let us know.
And Brian knows his stuff.
Honestly, if your coil pack and ignition module were replaced back then and you have limited miles on them, chances are they are still good to go. They typically don't go bad from sitting / no use.
Especially if the car is kept out of the elements.

-Patrick-

The plugs are Delco R42T's, gapped at .021. Absolutely, I have total confidence in Brian, we just tried to get the boost and fuel right for how much the ignition wanted to support. What would you consider low miles? I probably have put around 3,000 miles on them, with maybe 20ish 1/4 mile passes. Aside from that, it sits in the garage.

How are the plug wires?

They seem to be in good shape, but they are also from about September of 2014. I'm not sure how often they go bad, but it probably wouldn't hurt to replace them soon. They are standard MSD wires.

They seem to be in good shape, but they are also from about September of 2014. I'm not sure how often they go bad, but it probably wouldn't hurt to replace them soon. They are standard MSD wires.

Do you have a multi-meter? Perform a resistance test & see how well they do. MSD is usually top notch.

Do you have a multi-meter? Perform a resistance test & see how well they do. MSD is usually top notch.

I do have one. Thanks for the guidance. Is there somewhere that has accepted levels of resistance, or what I should be looking for, value wise?

The plugs are Delco R42T's, gapped at .021. Absolutely, I have total confidence in Brian, we just tried to get the boost and fuel right for how much the ignition wanted to support. What would you consider low miles? I probably have put around 3,000 miles on them, with maybe 20ish 1/4 mile passes. Aside from that, it sits in the garage.

Your C3I parts should be good. Definitely perform a resistance check on those wires. I noticed a big difference in drive ability & idle when I went from a set of Red MSD wires (installed back in 2015 by the previous owner), to a set of Kirbans HP wires. IMO, the MSD's are a hit and miss deal.

-Patrick-